PROLOGUE

Jason's feet pound against the ground on his run through the small park.

Even as an athletic kid, he hated running with every fibre of a his being.

He was more of a- "let's punch some stuff and throw some stuff," kind of person.

Running like a ballerina through a park at seven in the morning?

It wasn't exactly his forte.

He stops running upon seeing the small boardwalk where he'd set his water and shirt before running the five mile loop.

But now, a girl sits on the edge, strawberry blond hair cascading down her back and baby ducks surrounding her.

He makes his way down, and though she hears him, she doesn't turn.

It was easier that way.

He watches her toss pieces of bread into the water, and the ducks nibble at them with happiness in their feathery little bodies.

She holds and empty bag in her hands, moving to stand on her black and white vans, grabbing her coffee cup and tossing the bread bag in the recycling can.

And then, she meets Jason Blossom's gaze and he sends her a soft smile.

She nods at him, waving quietly before walking up the stairs, skipping a step at a time.

And after that?

Well, all Jason Blossom can think about is the silent girl who sat at the pier.

And that, is where the true confusion began.