What the hell?

Something inside of me sinks down a little, disappointed. I look around the room, scanning my peers. I don't think any of them are in the pack- I would be able to place them. Why is Maverick acting so serious then? He doesn't have to act like I'm nothing to him, he could come and sit with Gabe and I-

Gabe. 

It suddenly makes sense. Why he knew who I was, why Maverick gave him those looks, why I feel he's got a different aura then other people- he's one of them. 

I turn back to Gabe, and his smile fades. "What's that look for?" He says, confused.

"Why are you being nice to me?" I ask, narrowing my eyes at him. "Is it so you can tell them everything about me? Let them know what they're up against?" 

He suddenly clues in and his eyes widen. "Oh god- Kennedy, no- I'm not doing any of that! I'm just trying to be friends with you so this school doesn't overwhelm you."

"I know what you are, Gabe." I say a little quieter, and he nods. 

"I know what you are too, Kennedy..." He says, putting his palms up. "We all do. It's not that hard to tell." 

I sigh, rolling my eyes. "Then tell me, why aren't you like them? Why don't you hang out with your 'pack'?" 

He winces slightly. "I may be in the pack, but that doesn't mean I have to hang out with them. Like I told you, I'm not one of the top dogs. I don't fit in the same."

"So you're their punching bag, aren't you?" I ask then regret it as he winces again. "Sorry- I didn't mean it like that-"

"No, I know what you mean... But yeah, I'm kind of the underdog." He says with a shrug, turning to his computer. "You can go hang out with him if you want. You don't have to sit with the Omega and ruin your pack reputation." I freeze. 

"With who?" I ask, already knowing the answer. "And you know I already have a pretty shitty reputation with the pack. I just don't care."

"The hunk, of course," He says with a smirk, nodding towards Maverick, who sits across the room eyeing us intently. "He's not trying to be a dick to you, Ken. He's just too scared that the pack will get mad at him for being nice to you. He's got his tail between his legs." Gabe says without breaking eye contact with Maverick, knowing he can hear him clearly. The rest of the class seems oblivious to the tension in the room, and nobody pays attention to when Maverick stands up, making his way towards us.

"You better watch your mouth, Gabe." Maverick says, anger clear in his eyes. "Wouldn't want Keanan to know you've been disobeying orders, would you?" 

"Leave him alone." I say, glaring at Maverick. I don't want to be mad at him- but Gabe is right. His attention flicks towards me, something changing in his eyes as he sees the anger in mine. Without a word he turns away, leaving the classroom. The teacher doesn't pay him any mind.

"You don't have to stick up for me, you know." Gabe says, snapping me away from watching the door he left through.

"I always stick up for my friends." I say with a cautious smile, and Gabe returns one. "I'm sorry I went all psycho on you. It's just... I'm just so stressed out with all of this pack shit."

"Don't worry about it, I totally understand." He says with a shrug. "I also understand that he's taking the wrong approach.. But there's not much I can do about that." The bell rings and he smiles before walking away, leaving me alone to ponder about what he meant by that.

Maverick didn't show up to history class that day. 

I was honestly disappointed that he didn't, but at the same time I was glad. After computer science class, there would be a bit of tension. The history teacher again ranted for an obscene amount of time, assigning questions after. I spent the rest of the day in a weird state, not exactly happy, but not sad either. 

Julia talked the whole way home about some kid in her math class who projectile-vomitted on the blackboard. 

I parked my car in it's spot and got out, finding my mother tending to the overgrown bushes in the garden. "That looks like fun." I say with a sarcastic grin. "Need any help?"

She straightens her back and sighs, wiping a hand over her forehead and smearing dirt on it in the process. "Not at the moment, but thank you. Your dad is grabbing the weedwhacker from the barn to annhilate these things." 

I walk to the barn at the back of the yard, finding him searching through the stuff in there. "Where the hell did I put it?" He mutters to himself, and I clear my thoat. He looks at me, raising an eyebrow.

"It's over there, under the tarp beside the mirror." I say with a smile. Best start things off kindly, I'm not in the mood for more anger tonight.

"Ah, thanks Ken." He says with relief, pulling the device from it's hiding spot. He stops suddenly though, crouching to look at something on the ground. "Well, shit."

"What is it?" I ask, walking over to him. He's inspecting a footprint in the dirt- a pawprint, actually. I curse under my breath. I should've come back after I shifted the first time and erased any signs I was here. I clear my throat. "A coyote?"

He shakes his head, placing his hand next to the print. It's only slightly smaller than his fist. "No, too big. Most likely a wolf." I mean I kind of knew that, but I don't like it when he says it. He says it with malice, like the wolf (ME) is a threat. 

"Could it be an older print? I mean look at this thing, it's pretty run down. Who knows how long it's been since something living has been in here. Besides us putting stuff in here, of course." I say, trying to reason. He stands up and shrugs, grabbing the wheedwhacker.

"Could be, I guess. But you still need to be careful, okay? They're not the friendliest creatures."

"Yeah, I will be." I say. He doesn't know half of it.

a/n 

It's only been like six months since I last updated, no big deal

But yeah so when you guys comment it motivates me to actually write, so thanks for that!! <3

Beta Knows Bestजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें