Chapter Twenty Four: Reality

Kody's POV

Prom was a cliche. It was cluttered with all these people that I've never talked to and never cared to speak with me. They knew me from my reputation as a star athlete but that's about it.

I scan the venue with Maxx by my side in a fitted black tux. When I first saw him at Eva's house I had to resist the urge to hug him in fear of wrinkling the jacket. Luckily he beat me to it.

Teenagers were everywhere  sorted into their respected parties. The future sorority girls were getting pictures out side the dancing room while couple popped and locked all over each other on the dance floor. The socially awkward kids even found sanctuary with each other. Outcasts lined the back wall their phone lights shining on their face.

Our party sat down at a reserved table. Pike and Ollie led their girlfriends to the table pulling out the chairs for them.

I turned to do the same, then I realized that Maxx had already pulled out a chair for me. He winked and I swear I came in my boxers as I saw down. He sat down next to me intertwining our fingers.

During our meal we chatted about the future, Havana managed to steal Ollie's chocolate cake to which I was still very impressed by. Eva and Quinn were talking about...guess what...musical theatre. Eva managed to make herself quite a target for both men and women tonight and she was not subtle. She wore a tight baby pink dress that was glistening. She told us all she was channeling her aesthetic "pixie".

Camilla, in her white cropped dress making her look like an angel and Pike were on the dance floor goofing off she giggled as he pulled her close for a kiss. I glance at an empty seat next to me, Lois's seat.

"Want to dance?" I ask Maxx, who was snapping pictures of the whole event, he might as well been the prom photographer.

He nods and I lead him to the dance floor. Coincidentally, the music changes from upbeat to a romantic ballad.

I gladly pull my boyfriend closer and we sway. He looks into my eyes so long and seriously that we both end up choking with laughter.

"Thank you." I say to him.

"For what?" He hums.

"Being patient, kind, yourself, and everything I need." I say without much thought.

He stopped swaying but it felt like we were still swaying when he stands on his tip toes placing his hands on my shoulders and pressing the softest kiss to my lips. It felt like all those years ago by the creek. I lick my lips tasting oranges.

I look down at him with a puzzled look.

"You taste like oranges, again?" I mutter.

"Orange juice, baby." He laughs. "I have to keep tradition, you know?"

The rest of the night was filled with me and my goofball friends destroying the dance floor and the buffet.

I feel a tap on my shoulder and there stood my sister standing there in jeans and a hoodie her mascara runny and makeup smudged.

"Lois? Are you okay?"

She does somthing I never expected. She breaks into a smile and wraps her arms around my neck.

Maxx appears beside me.

"How did you get in with that outfit honey?" He puts his hand on her shoulder with concern.

"I think your gay is showing." I say to him.

"You want gay, I'll show you gay." He argues and we bicker.

"Guys!" Lois yells. "Come with me."

We follow but on the way out I pull her to the side.

"Are you okay Lois?"

"I think everything will be fine." Her mouth falls into a solemn, calm line.

We exit the prom venue. I managed to text the others that we had to leave not mentioning that I didn't know why cause Lois wasn't speaking.

"Kody?" I hear a familiar voice as we approach the parking lot.

My mother was standing there with a shawl over her shoulders.

I glanced from Lois to my mother then to my clueless boyfriend who moved behind me.

"What's going on?" There was silence and uncertain looks exchanged between everyone.

"We're having a family intervention!" Lois states with excitement.

"I'm not-" Maxx starts.

"You will be, now shush." She says and I didn't even have to look at him to tell he was a tomato.

"What she means to say is that I'm going to try." My mom works out with a swallow.

"I did some digging and I will try my best to cope with this, if it really makes you happy."

My eyes were wide as I looked at her for any sign of a falsehood.

I bit my lit and nodded as she continued to talk about her past and stuff she had read that was slowly changing her opinion. She confessed that she needed time and left us with hope.

"One day everything will be fine. It'll take some getting used to. But, I've lost your father and I don't want to lose either of my children." She breaks into tears and Lois comforts her.

I sighed in relief.

One day everything will be fine.