Chapter Nineteen: Adjusting

Kody's POV

Can I really forgive Maxx for leaving me in that wretched state? I mean, I know why he did what he did, but I really wish he hadn't done what he did.

Look at him in the front laughing and smiling. It was so fucking adorable and he just expects me to wait to see what he plans? I sigh to myself, who was in the very very back of the van.

Eva managed to talk her parents into letting her rent a creepy white rapey van to drive to the pier. I was surprised she was even allowed to go. She was the one fated to drive us the whole 6 hours.

I sat next to Ollie and Havana, luckily, it wasn't as tight as I assumed.

Lois, Camilla, Pike, and Quinn all sat in front, with Eva driving and Maxx controlling the radio and directions.

We had been on the road for about an hour. A while after Eva had finished playing the whole Book of Mormon soundtrack we had collectively decided to take some quiet down time.

Instead of sleeping, like what I was doing, or trying to do. Everyone was chatting or doing their own thing.

Maxx and Eva were talking and laughing with each other, those two had been inseparable since the day we were dared to go to the creek. Not that they weren't always inseparable, but he was playing a new game, something I wasn't aware of.

This wasn't rainbow road.

I shifted my head on my pillow and glanced beside me at Ollie and Havana. They each had slipped a head phone in and were simultaneously watching the office.

I envied them, they were always so lax together, and they weren't even officially together. They both knew what they wanted in life and knew they couldn't make a relationship work, or so I was told by Lois. They were able to still have an unreal connection that seemed to make them both happy, as good friends...until further notice.

"I have to pee." Quinn says taking her attention away from her phone.

"I could use some grub my dudes." Pike says as his stomach growls.

"All those in favor of getting food and restroom at the next exit?" Eva questions eyes still dead on the road. "Say 'ay'."

Everyone echoed her.

---------------

5 minutes later we arrived at a gas station in which a Burger King stood faithfully beside it. My stomach rumbles as I enter the Burger King with Pike and Ollie at my side messing with a charity donation thing that you can watch the coins role down and twist around till it clinks and hits the bottom.

I sit down after I order and receive my food along with the others, Quinn bought fruit from a gas station, she said she was vegan.

"Extra." Eva coughed with a false look of innocence.

"Hi, I'm Quinn and I'm vegan and I have aesthetic!" Pike says with an obnoxious nasal tone flicking his hand out like that one sassy emoji.

Quinn rolls her eyes and continues to enjoy her vegan meal.

"I love crappy fast food." Maxx says with a satisfied soft smile.

"At least the scent of fruit smoothies didn't follow me here." He says looking blissfully at his food.

"Since you won the scholarship, do you really need the job?" Ollie asks curiously through mouthfuls of food.