Chapter Ten: Flooded

Kody's POV

I woke up with a migraine for the fourth time this month. I cringe recalling last night, god, some memories belong in the lock box in my head.

I kissed that girl from spin the bottle and I hated it. That's some notable news. When it happened I wasn't present, my mind was on him and if he was okay or not. Which I hate myself for, cause when I saw him he looked like he'd been crying.

I recall the memory. It had to be fake, or just a dream, a day dream!

There's no way in hell that had happened and I had forgotten it. Is it possible to forget your sexuality? My head pounds, I had only drunk one drink. I curse to myself, stalking into the bathroom. I gaze in the mirror admiring my features, damn, I thought to myself, football had certainly paid off. Was I gay for myself too? I want to scream.

I grab my phone pounding my way down the stairs. "Good Morning." I radiate as much energy as it could muster up. I make a beeline for the pantry.

"Morning? It's 1 in the afternoon dumbass." My sister scoffs, texting.

I frown, "Where's mom?"

"Where do you think?"

"And she didn't make you or I go?" I question, shuffling through the food in  the pantry.

"It's an adult study group thing, she said she'll make it up to us by letting us attend next week." She smiles sourly.

I ponder my thoughts as a pour myself some fruit loops.

"Lo, do you believe in God? Like the same way mom does?" I question.

"I don't know." She crinkles her brows. "But I will say this, whatever is out there should spread love. I've found religion has so many contradictions. There's so many positives but there's so many misguided people who create negatives. Mom goes to anti-gay protests for crying out loud, what do gay people do that hurts anyone? I mean, she cheated on dad. That's a sin."

"Lois!" I scold.

"She did Kody, she's a fucking hypocrite." She fights back, silencing me.

"She did." Hating to say it, I agree.

"Why does she hate gays so much?" I pick at my fruit loops with the spoon.

"Cause it's not her norm, I think. Or just blatant ignorance. But, as Eva says what is normal really? It's just the way society enforces it's beliefs onto people, people who are all individuals." She points her spoon intelligently.

I gush. "When did you get so wise?" She was smart. My brain certainly didn't work like that.

Normal. I crinkle my nose. My normal has been tampered with. I need to know who I was, who I was taught to be, and who I really am.
-----------
Maxxie's POV (the next day)

I arrived at Jubilee Juice bar bright and early. They had immediately hired me yesterday and asked if I could come in to train today, I suppose my short job working at a small town studio was good resume material.

"Hi, my name's Katrina!" A girl with a lopsided smile and blonde wavy hair says animatedly. I stutter out an introduction.

"Let me give you an overview. It's actually super easy." She guides me through the juice kitchen, showing me where to find the extra ingredients to blend, the break room, working the register, and how to work drive through. "This is how you work the juice bar, make sure that you always fill it up to the brim with jubilee spirit!" She winks forcibly. God, she must be losing it.