His gaze seems to tear though the layers of her skin, finding those ugly things she keeps underneath, hidden from everyone else. Even by just looking at her, he manages to unnerve her to no end.

Brooklyn suddenly feels very exposed and she wraps her arms around herself. She doesn't know why, but she feels like he can see though her as if she's transparent. Those sharp eyes stays on her for what felt like eternity, and finally they stray away.

She heaves a sign of relief.

"L-look," she starts, I'm sorry I broke into your mansion," she makes it a point to emphasize that, "I don't expect you to believe me but if you would drop all the charges and let me free with a warning I promise I will be on my best behavior from now onward....and I will stay away from any of your properties," she adds for good measure, plastering a smile so bright it would put angels to shame.

Silence.

"What else do you want me to say, that is all I am willing to offer. Unless...." she pauses, "there is something else that you want?" she asks suggestively.

In her baggy all black attire, it covers all her curves that would have extracted a reaction from guys under any other circumstances, but in this case, the only thing she can do is lift the hem of her oversized hoodie, exposing her smooth, tan skin hidden below. She expected at least a small reaction, a twitch of his fingers, a clench of his jaw, a growing erection - anything, at what she is implying. Instead, she gets a stunning nothing.

When he finally parted his lips to speak, Brooklyn held her breath. "I don't think you are in any position to make suggestions, Ms Reid," smooth, deep voice greets her. "You are under my mercy, you broke into my house."

His voice is like listening to music after being held so long in this holding cell, the constant shrill of ringing phones and the noises of police officers being her only companion.

"If there was an offer to be made," he continues, "I will be the one that initiates it. Not you. Remember that the next time you get caught again, will you."

The man walks away.

Brooklyn thought that that was the end of the conversation, but then she heard two words that she must have the pleasure of misinterpreting.

"Release her."

Shock rockets through her body. This is it? It can't be this easy. There must be a catch.

She has been in this cell for a whopping five hours, mulling on how she will never be able to leave here, then being transferred to a higher security prison because they think she will be able to break out of jail too being able to break in. But this is too easy.

"Sir," Officer Langston protested, "that is not wise. She needs to be thought a lesson, otherwise she'll just keep repeating this mistake without knowing the actual consequences."

"Who said I'll let her get away that easily. Release her and I'll deal with her myself."

Snap. Snap, snap, SNAP.

No. I change my mind. I don't want to get out. Dear God I don't want to get out, I will rot in this prison cell and eat their bland food, and stare at the dull concrete walls if it meant that I won't have to be in a secluded place with that man, she thought.

Reluctantly, Officers Langston took out and set of keys and unlocked her cell. "Out you go," he says through gritted teeth.

Without saying a word, she stalked over to where the stranger with the deep, arousing voice stood. Suddenly, Brooklyn was afraid of what this man was capable of. He has the strings, and she was the puppet. She was under his mercy.

"Follow me."

His curt, arrogant demand came not long after she was given her belongings. She didn't have many things with her, just a small flea market watch and her low budget phone. She pocketed the items and trail after the man.

When they came up to the exit, a sleek, black car swiftly pulled into the curb. The driver dutifully opened the door for the man and she got in after him, the door shutting behind her with a soft thump.

"My office."

The driver gave a nod and the car purred to life. Road after road, turn after turn, buildings after buildings, Brooklyn lost count of how many high rises she did not manage to take in.

Finally, the car halted in front of a magnificent building, 50 floors in the least, the words Woods Inc. written in big, bold letters at the front.

There was a small fountain at the front, and parking spaces for important people. Beside that, the building has a see-through glass window, offering her a glance at the interior of the office lobby.

Once again, the door was opened, but this time by the security standing-by the building. "Good morning, Sir," he said when the man exits.

Of course, there was no reply. Brooklyn gave the him a pitiful smile and followed the man. What the hell was he even doing here this early in the morning, surely he has better things to do than standing by waiting for doors to open.

Mr. Sexy Voice was already in the elevator when I came along. He was holding the open button while giving me the best I-don't-want-you-to-know-but-I'm-glaring-at-you glare.

Subtle.

The elevator chimed at the highest floor, and the doors open. Inside, the first thing the she laid her eyes on was the front desk. It was shiny, white and made from marble. The man did not pay any attention to those and went straight for the huge mahogany door behind the front desk.

The room was a remarkable place in itself. There was his desk sitting in the middle of the room, directly opposite the door, in a way that if someone were to come in, he will be the first person to be noticed. Sitting in front of the desk was two chairs. In a far corner there was a shelf filled to the brink with books about business that looks like it had never been touched, and beside it was a sitting area. To top it off, there was a huge glass window that allows one to gaze at the other skyscrapers and the scenery.

Right now, it's the sunrise + him.

"Take a seat Ms Reid."

Timidly, Brooklyn sunk onto a chair. On the desk in front of him was a file, and he has a hand on top of it. "Do you know what this is, Ms Reid," he asked when she noticed where her eyes was.

She shook her head.

"Do you want to know?"

Brooklyn had the urge to shake her head again, but thought against it. She stayed quiet.

Now in his barely lit office, it felt like she was surrounded by him. Everything he owns was around her, making her even more aware of his presence than before.

"Take a look," he pushed the file to her and she picked it up. Flipping it open, the first thing she saw was an image. One she distinctly remembered from the outfit was from a few days ago. Her eyes widen as she realised what this was.

He knew all along.

As she flipped page after page, she became more certain that it wasn't just the neighbour she needed to blame for her demise. She would've gotten caught anyway. According to the file, there was people following her since 10 days prior. "H-how."

"I had people following you since the day one of my securities saw you snooping around my property. You didn't think I would leave my house unguarded, did you? Stupid girl."

"B-but I ch-checked."

"Look harder next time, Ms Reid. My securities are everywhere, even when you don't see them."