A birthday to remember

Even though his hands were shaking uncontrollably he read the letter anyway and I could hear that his voice was nervous.

"Dear Cynthia, you might not wake up but if you do I want you to read this whole letter and remember who I am. I might just still be a no body but I just wanted you to know that I love you more than anything. I was going to give up on you until I realized that if I give up on you that makes me as bad as my father. I was that dude you slept with while at that party at the end of year eleven and even though you told me not to I used protection because I knew what was right. Even though you hurt me twice I will always come back to you because I physically cannot live without you. If you do wake up I am terrified that you won't remember who I am or who you really are. If you do get the chance to read this letter just remember that even when I die in like seventy years time I will die loving you......."

I was literally in tears just out of happiness. This is truly a birthday that I will always remember.

***************************

Henry's POV

I have told her almost everything now but there is something I cannot tell her because it will just break her heart and I don't want to hurt her. I want to be with her more than anything but if I become her boyfriend it will just hurt her even more when I have to leave...... hopefully I won't have to leave for a long time.

"Henry I know there is only an hour till it isn't her birthday anymore but Cynthia has a right to know."

"Mum it will hurt her if I tell her."

"It isn't fair that we are both lying to her and Fran."

"That is why I have a different letter that Cynthia cannot read until that moment."

"Whatever you say but she will find out at some point."

"I know. I'm going to bed now. Love you mum."

"Love you too sweet heart."

I can tell she is scared about what could happen in a few months time, or four weeks time or even four days time if I'm really unlucky.

*************************

Cynthia's POV

I was woken up in a really annoying way.

"Cynthia wake up!"

"Mum what do you want!"

"It's Henry he has been taken to hospital!"

As soon as she said the word hospital I was up and dressed and running towards the car.

"Mum what happened?!?!"

"I don't know Henry's mum said she can't say until we get there."

"What the hell isn't he telling me mum!"

"That's what I want to know."

I was practically crying the whole journey because I was so scared about what I was going to find out.

Before my mum could even stop the car I was running into the hospital searching for Henry and as soon as I found his room his mum stopped me.

"Why can't I see him?"

"He wanted me to tell you."

"Just tell us Cynthia is in a right state."

"Cynthia I am so sorry....."

"Just tell me please."

"Five months ago Henry had a fit at home... his dad doesn't know but ummmm.... last night Henry had a really bad one so I had to phone an ambulance. He has gotten worse and the doctor says they can't operate. Cynthia I am so sorry for not telling you. Henry has a brain tumour. He has cancer..... and there is nothing they can do to help him. In two to three months the cancer will kill him."

As soon as she finished that sentence I burst into tears........

The person I love is dying. I will lose him in a matter of months.

******************************

Five hours later

I just sat outside his room for hours and hours just holding my silver bracelet in my hands.

"Mum I want to see him. Please."

She just opened the door for me and I walked in and sat next to the bed. Henry just led there with tears in his eyes.

"Henry why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't want to hurt you."

"It has hurt me that I found out like this."

"I'm so sorry."

"Henry it is not your fault that you have cancer! I am just scared of losing you! I can't lose you!"

I just started crying again and he leaned over and hugged me tightly.

"I might not be with you in a couple of months time but I will always be with you in your heart."

"Don't leave me Henry......"

"I won't. I promise......."

"But you can't keep that promise."

"I can in a metaphorical way......"