Chapter 27 - but Echo might eat me... - <3

Chapter 27

"Hello?" a girls voice answered on the other end if the line.

My tongue was tied in so many knots I thought I'd never speak again

"Uhh... Hello?" the girl repeated.

"Ummm, hey. Nicole?" I couldn't believe my ears, I was hearing things I had to be. There was no way I was actually hearing my sisters voice.

"Yeah who is this?" she sounded nervous and excited. Like she had been waiting for my call for days.

I swallowed my nerves and sucked in as much air as possible. "It's Kaden..."

I could feel her smiling on the other line "Oh my god, is it really you?" her voice was shaking with excitement. "I can't believe it's really you"

"Yeah, I can't believe your still alive to be honest with you I mean... I thought you were dead." My jaw started to quiver, I couldn't decide why. Maybe shock from hearing Nicole's voice?

She was hesitant for a minute and then finally spoke up "I seriously thought the same about you, I thought that man was going to kill us both and then when I got out and you didn't I knew sooner or later the abuse would get to be too much and he would go too far. But I mean your clearly alive right?"

"Yeah, it's great." I laughed under my breath.

"Yeah"

I was afraid this might get awkward; so I planned an emergency question for this moment.

"So... Nicole can you tell me what exactly happened? 'cause mom said that you ran away and then they found your body in that river by our house that we used to always go play at... She told me you were dead..." my voice shook a bit towards the end as I remember my mother setting me on her lap and kissing my cheek telling me Nicole wasn't ever coming home.

"Kaden... You remember what happened the night I had to leave right?" she asked.

"I remember what happened to me, not you... I was locked in the basement... Remember... For running into dad when we were playing hide 'n seek..." remembering anything from my past was always painful, I could never get over it. Not even with knowing my father was dead it still haunted me.

"Oh... Right..." she sighed and sounded as if she was nervous like she didn't want to talk about what had happened.

"Nicole... If you don't want to talk about it..."

"No it's fine," she said taking a deep breath. "After dad locked the door he took me to his room..." her voice was shaky and I could tell she was crying now.

I felt so bad... I didn't mean to make her cry. "I'm so sorry Nic, you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to..."

"I want to meet you" she said strongly "Or well... See you again. I'm a creeper and I totally stalked you to find out where you lived and when I found out Katie was moving there I knew it was a sign that I was meant to see my brother again, and I talked to my parents and they said they would pay to fly you out here if you wanna come out..."