Chapter 12 ♦ These Little Moments ♦

Chapter 12

- These little moments -

*Echo's POV*

"I... I'm… I was abused my whole childhood," he stumbled over his words slightly as if his mouth moved slower than his brain. 

Closing my left eye I sat up and looked down at him. I believed it, I mean I always kind of figured he was abused, or maybe even raped. Something traumatic had happened to him that would cause a person lose all trust in anyone with a pulse.

I twisted my back and tugged the metal chain turning on my side table lamp I looked down at him. His eyes met mine for a split second and then they shot to the floor as he sat up trying to get away.

"Kaden," I sighed. "Look at me," I pleaded, reaching for his shoulder I laid him back so his head was resting in my lap. But he was smarter than that, his eyes instantly closed. "Kaden... I need you to open your eyes..." I begged, I have to admit I did sound a little annoyed. 

Leaning over him, I placed a soft kiss against his lips and when I sat back up, he was staring back at me. Looking deep into his brown eyes I wanted to see if the shadows were cleared, and if his eyes were pure and less tense. But I saw the same thing I had always seen. The same dark, pain filled eyes, with the shadows and the hurt. I knew there was something else he wasn’t telling me. Something bigger, something huge. But he looked more scared than ever. 

I couldn't take looking into his eyes seeing them filled with so much fear and hate. I shifted to the side and pulled him into a tight hug, nestling my head in his chest. "I'm so sorry...," was all I could manage to say. 

I wanted to tell him some long inspirational story that would make him not feel so alone, but 'I'm so sorry' is all I could say. 

"Echo... there’s more I just… I can’t-”

"It's okay, you can wait if you need to..." I sighed. 

"I'm not really sure when, but one day. I'll be able to tell you," he whispered, pressing his lips to the top of my head.

"Okay," I sighed again. "Fair enough."

"Thank you," he whispered.

I nodded and turned off the lamp snuggling into his side I let out a soft yawn and kissed him goodnight before falling asleep in is arms.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *

*Kaden's POV*

I woke up to repetitive beeping of Echo's alarm clock, telling me it was 5:45. Echo had her arms wrapped around my waist and was sleeping peacefully. Extending my arm out towards the sound source, I felt around the top of the nightstand when my hand bumped into the clock.  Hitting the snooze button, I returned my arm to Echo's hip and quickly fell back asleep. 

I was awoken once again a while later by Echo sitting up to stretch. Blinking my eyes open, I smiled up at her as she lay back down next to me. "Good morning." She said laying back down into my side.

"Morning," I replied, leaning in closer to give her a small kiss before I got up, just to have her pull away and smirk at me. "What?" I asked. 

"You can't kiss me! I haven't brushed my teeth yet!" she explained rolling over to stand up. 

I pushed her back down and kissed her softly just to make her mad. "No harm done, now go brush your teeth." 

She sighed and stood up. "Hint taken." She nodded.

I just laughed and pulled out a new pair of skinny jeans out from her nightstand drawer where she had a spare pair of clothes for me. Pushing my legs through the darkened denim material, I shook my long, shaggy, black hair into place.

There was a loud thud that came from the bathroom followed by Echo’s laughter. I lazily made my way to the bathroom to see what was so funny, when I saw Echo lying on the floor on her back. Her hands were covering her face as she burst out in laughter. 

"What are you doing?" I laughed, walking closer to her. 

"I just..." she said sucking in a deep breath. “Nothing. What are you do-" she froze as she took her hands off her eyes.  A simple "Whoa" escaped her sweet lips. I looked down at my appearance to see what she was referring to.  She stood up and began to trace over the scars that covered my bare torso. She bit her lip and looked into my eyes. 

"Looks like I should probably go get dressed instead of walking around half naked," I laughed nervously, turning on my heels. I rushed the five short feet down the hall to Echo's room. I could feel her arm reach out to grab me and dodged to the right to avoid it. 

Frantically I grabbed my purple Volcom T-shirt and quickly pulled it over my head. Shoving my arms in their place, I pulled the excess material down straightening it out in a panicked mess. Staring back at me with a childlike sorrowed expression spread across her face, she timidly wrapped her small arms around my waist. 

Resting her chin on my shoulder, she rested her nose on my neck. "I'm so sorry," she whispered into my skin. "I wish I could tell you something other than that... but I don't really know what to say... I really do feel sorry for you; you never did anything to deserve what you went through," she cooed as her eyelashes brushed against my neck.

"What does she know? She just met you, and she doesn't even know the whole story. You deserved it all.  Every time your father hit you, you were asking for it, might as well been on your knees and begging. Your mom…" they started laughing at me. "…Your mom only told you things would get better so you wouldn't tell your teachers, or the neighbors, what your father and his friends did to you. She wanted to see how long you would keep quiet, see how long you would believe her. She just liked to watch you suffer, she got enjoyment from your cries for help. Sh-"

I was about to break down in a panic attack, when Echo's lips crashed against mine, causing everything to go silent. 

Just... Silent... 

A comforting, warm, loving silence.

These were the moments, the reasons I woke up in the morning. 

These peaceful, quiet, silent, warm, blissful moments. 

When everything just felt... normal