His God, My God

"Rock, paper, scissors—go!" the group of five said, each throwing their hands to form a symbol. Goku had 'scissors', but Hakkai, Gojyo, Myoko, and Sanzo all had 'rock'.

"You've got to be kidding me! I've lost ten times in a row!" Goku cried, staring at his defective hand with a look of shocked betrayal.

"Hehe, he still hasn't caught on," Gojyo snickered under his breath.

"His habit of throwing a scissors first is quite damning," Hakkai agreed quietly.

"He is a monkey after all," Sanzo said lowly with the hint of a smirk, while Myoko gave poor Goku a lopsided smile. 

She thought he would have at least figured it out by the fifth turn, but it seemed Goku had become too upset to think straight. She briefly considered telling him, but decided it would be better for him to learn how to figure this sort of thing out on his own... Plus, she didn't want to end up getting stuck with the bag either.

"Hey! How far are we gonna walk?" Goku whined, dragging the large, heavy bag along. The others paused and glanced back at him.

"Well, with this kind of rocky terrain, we can't use the Jeep to cross through..." Hakkai reminded him.

Goku frowned and stared hard at the little white dragon, who was riding comfortably on Myoko's shoulder to take advantage of the shade her umbrella offered to escape the desert sun. "Hakuryuu! Can't you change into anything other than a Jeep?!" he demanded, shaking his fists at the startled creature.

"Hey, Goku..." Myoko scolded him with a frown. "Don't take it out on him just because you keep losing."

"Sensei! An animal's abusing another animal!" Gojyo droned drolly.

"Who is this 'sensei'?" Myoko asked with a wry smile, sweat-dropping.

"You, if you want. Being scolded by a pretty teacher like you wouldn't be half bad," he teased with a cheeky smirk.

Myoko laughed. "Pfft! What the heck? Not even in your dreams," she told him, shaking her head in somewhat amused disbelief.

"Yeah, it'd be more like a nightmare!" Goku cut in. "You know how scary Myoko-nee is when she's angry!"

"Are you trying to make me angry...?" she asked, sweat-dropping again. True, she wasn't above ruling by fear in some emergencies, but they didn't have to treat her like some kind of monster. She thought Hakkai was scarier.

"... With this pace, the sun's going to set before we can cross the mountain..." Sanzo said, doing his best to ignore the idiocy behind him.

"In that case, shall we ask them for a night's lodgings?" Hakkai suggested as they came upon a great edifice built into the mountainside.

"Ge! Such a grand temple!" Gojyo said, sweat-dropping, while Goku stared up at it, amazed to find something like that out there.

"You can find these things in the most surprising places, huh?" Myoko commented wryly.

"Excuse me!!!" Hakkai called out as they drew closer.

"Do you need something?!" one of two monks called back as they came out on the balcony above to see what they wanted.

"We are travelers! Could kindly you let us stay a night?" Hakkai asked politely.

"Hmph!" the monk huffed, and Myoko could already tell what his answer would be from the amount of scorn mixed with self-importance that it carried. It wasn't her first time encountering a place like this. "Because this is a holy temple... we cannot allow strangers within its walls!"