Chapter 6 - The problem with twins and an incredibly old lady

Start from the beginning

“Will you go and start organising the stuff we need to take with us? I have to try and work out how to keep this wall open.” I ordered and he nodded but quickly stole another kiss with the cheekiest of grins before walking away.

I couldn’t resist touching my lips after he was gone. They were still tingling like crazy. Get with it Charlie and keep this bloody door open, I told myself sharply, not that it worked, I was still ridiculously distracted.

Once I was able to focus again, I managed to keep the door clear without any effort at all which made me grin smugly. I walked back into the room to see Caden with his back to me in completely different clothes.

He turned at my movement and I automatically picked up the sword I’d thrown away earlier. Something was very wrong, this was not Caden I was sure of it. He looked exactly like him but I knew deep inside that it definitely wasn’t him.

“You’re not Caden.” Was all I said in an almost growl.

“How would you know? And who are you exactly?” The questioning voice was slightly higher pitched than Caden’s wonderfully melodic voice.

“Where is Caden?” I asked in a deadly voice as I levelled the sword at him but all he did was frown at me “I know you’re not him. What did you do with him?”

My heart was pounding in my chest at the same time that it was aching while wondering where Caden was. This imposter raised his hands defensively but my fear was finally overtaken by my anger. Sparks flew off me to his surprise as I pointed the sword closer against his skin.

“I know you.” He said quietly as he reached out to grab my wrist. Before he could touch me, I wrapped a band of invisible rope around him and pulled tight, knocking him off balance. I saw anger flare in his eyes as he landed with a thud on the ground, but I returned the sword point to his throat fiercely.

“Tell me what you did with Caden.” I demanded

I heard a shuffle behind me. I turned smartly and was relieved when Caden walked into the room. I was about to run over to him when I felt cold steel against my skin and a rasping breath behind me. Well that’s what happens when you take your eye off the ball. I cursed to myself and stood completely still.

“Caden.” I managed to rasp, he looked around at my fearful tone and I heard him curse quietly.

“Markus let her go, do not injure her. She is the next Ambassador.” Caden said quietly and I finally figured it out, he was Caden’s twin brother.

“Do you know who she is?” The words were spat out from behind me.

“Yes I do. She is the one that damaged your room and the one that put me here. But she is not the right one.” Caden replied causing Markus to falter. The sword left my skin barely but I managed to quickly wrap myself in a protective barrier.

“So you spent the last time I was here berating me to just to welcome her with open arms.” Markus yelled furiously at his brother as he tried pressing the sword tighter against me.