Chapter 18: Trust

Once we had recovered all of our weapons, we started to rummage for any food and supplies.

Ashleigh seemed quiet, and over anticipated what was going on, I hadn't really talked to her since when we found her in the water tank. She seems to talk to Maggie and Tara.

I approach her rummaging through shelves and drawers, and begin to speak.

"You okay?" I ask.

Her body jumped, and she turned around quickly, almost as if she was shocked to see me.

"Yeah. Fine." She snapped.

"So, what was your life like before the apocalypse?" I say, placing some tins of beans into my bag.

"Why do you want to know?"

"I'm trying to make conversation, don't like it, I'll go." I say back.

Wow, all I asked was what was life like.

I begin to walk away, when I feel a grip on my wrist, spinning me back.

"I'm sorry, I just don't trust easy." Ashleigh says.

"It's okay, I didn't either when I first found this group." I begin to reassure her.

"He was crazy." Ashleigh says.

"Who was?"

"The guy, who went to them."

"Oh, Tyreese. But in his head, I think losing an arm, is better than losing your life."

"I guess so."

Me and Ashleigh began talking about our lives before the apocalypse, families, friends. I felt sorry for her in a way, she made it out with her boyfriend when the apocalypse started, but they were about a mile away from Atlanta when she watched him get bit. She had to end it. I couldn't imagine doing that, it was just them on the road, then just her.

It was almost as if we were best friends, I mean, I told her everything. She told me everything. Parents, Arguments, Sad Stories.

We reunited back with the rest of the group, stocked up with enough supplies to last us for a month.

"Let's get back on the road." Daryl says.

"Where do we go?" I ask.

"I don't know. Anywhere but here." He says.

"Wait..Daryl, where did you say Beth went missing?" Maggie said.

"A funeral home. About 1 and a half miles from here, down south." He explains.

"We could go there, clear our more of their supplies, and search for Beth." She suggests.

"It got overrun." Daryl says.

"There's no harm in looking?" I say.

"Rick, where did you stay before Terminus? After the Prison?" I ask.

"A house. In a town nearby." He says.

"We look for Beth, then make our way back to where Rick stayed if the funeral homes overrun." Maggie says.

We all nod, and begin the walk to where Beth was last seen.