| 19 |

Blue waves lapped against the white sandy beach. Seagulls could be heard flying above, moving with the gentle wind. Bucky looked around, searching for someone important. The sun was shining so brightly, it nearly blinded him from seeing a woman chasing after a small child. The woman wore a loose fitting white dress, her dirty blonde, messy hair cascading down around her shoulders. The little kid, a boy, kept glancing over his shoulder, giggling, teasing the woman.

"I'm gonna get you, JC!" She called, holding her hands up high as if she was a monster. Laughter came from the boy's mouth as she snatched him up by the sides and held him to her chest.

"Mommy! Mommy, stop it! I give! I give!" The boy laughed and laughed, kicking his feet as she tickled his sides and nuzzled her face into his neck. A soft smile came to Bucky's lips while he watched the woman put the boy back down. That's when he realized the woman was Widia, his Widia.

She lifted her gaze up and met his eyes. A playful smirk came to Widia's lips as she knelt down behind the boy and spoke into his ear.

"JC? I think daddy needs to be tickled."

"I'm gonna get you, daddy!" The boy took off running towards Bucky. Normally, the Winter Soldier's first instinct would be to instantly become defensive. However, Bucky no longer felt the need to have his guard up. He knelt down and allowed the boy to tackle him back on to the sand. "I got you!" The boy attempted to tickle Bucky, but he wasn't successful.

"Nice try, squirt." Bucky chuckled, lifting the boy up so he could sit up. Widia approached the two slowly, allowing them to have their moment. Her hair blew out of her face and back with the wind.

"My two boys." She sat down next to Bucky and leaned over to kiss him. "What am I going to do with you both?"

Bucky leaned into her touch as she cradled the back of his head and moved in to kiss his cheek.

Bucky opened his eyes to a dark and cold room. Something heavy weighed down on his chest and most of his body. Looking down, he could see Widia laying across his entirety, one small hand of hers resting on his collarbone while the other seemed to disappear between the two of them.

His hands rested on her, one at her waist and the other on the back of her thigh, holding her leg where he wanted it. Bucky couldn't help but smile softly as he gazed at her. She was breathtaking when she slept. Dark lashes rested upon pink cheeks. Her dirty blonde hair fanned out across her back, some pieces tickling his neck.

He watched as she parted her lips and licked them in her sleep. There was no way he could lose her. This woman had given things up for him time and time again, yet she didn't seem to care. She seemed to be willing to throw anything away for him, for a man who had killed many times. He had taken the lives of innocent people, including the ones she loved dearly.

She didn't even know him well enough to do what it was she was doing. She was following him blindly all because her life before she met him was 'boring.' Bucky closed his eyes tightly, feeling something in his chest begin to ache at the thought of losing her in any way, shape, or form. He didn't want to let her go.

She kept him sane in the nights when no one else was around. The little things meant the most to him and that was what kept him grounded. She would let him touch her. He could hold her hand, he could touch her side, he could even put his back to hers and she wouldn't care.

She made him feel like he was human. And his humanity was something James Barnes desperately held on to.

———