| 7 |

We continued to check in to motels in Ohio and then in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland before we settled in Virginia. It was currently the morning of the day I would be meeting with Joey. I was going to be leaving the team through the day to go to DC alone. They didn't need to risk anything for me.

"So I was just telling Bucky here that I think my place in New York should be okay by now." I spoke as I pulled a dress out of my bag. Steve, Sam, and Natasha had just came into mine and Bucky's motel room to talk with me before I left. They'd be without a vehicle and virtually stranded here until I got back.

"We'll talk about it when you get back." Steve spoke from his place near the door. He still wasn't fond of me going to see an FBI agent.

"Are you sure you don't want us going with you, Widia?" Natasha asked with drawn eyebrows. She was concerned about me, but not for my physical-wellbeing, for my mental-wellbeing.

"I'll be okay." I shook my head as I headed for the bathroom.

Once I was inside the bathroom, I put the dress on. It was form fitting and the straps hung off my shoulders. While I was in the bathroom, I put on a bit of makeup and put on the necklace Riggs had gotten me for the last birthday of mine we had celebrated together. My heart was thumping in my chest but I could hear it in my ears. I had to keep it together because everyone was outside the bathroom door and they'd be able to see that I was going to loose it.

Deep breath in. Deep breath out. I evened out my breathing before I left the bathroom.

"Damn, Widia." Natasha grinned a little. "I haven't seen you in a dress in years."

"You look great." Steve complimented.

"Yeah, you do." Sam agreed with him.

"Shut up." I mumbled. My eyes caught Bucky's and I saw that he was about to say something but I pointed at him. "Don't."

"Fine."

I sat on the edge of the bed and put on my black heels.

"Text me when you're on your way back, Widia." Natasha told me.

"I will, mom."

I finished strapping on my heels and stood up. A breath I didn't know I had been holding escaped my lips as I looked at the door. This was going to be a long day.

———

"So what've you been up to?" Joey asked as he took a bite of his sandwich.

"Not much." I shrugged my shoulders.

"What about with that friend of yours? Sadie was it? How is she?"

"She's good. She got married recently." I shuffled through the soup in front of me. "What about you? How's things at the bureau?"

"It's going good. You heard about the shit in DC a few months back, right? With that S.H.I.E.L.D. Triskalion?"

"Yeah." Damn it. Why did he have to bring this up? Joey watched me for a few moments before he sighed gently.

"Are you feeling okay, Widia? You're acting a little jittery."

"I'm fine, Joey. How's Beth and the kids?"

"They're doing great. Beth actually wanted me to ask you if you wanted to come to one of Zoey's soccer games." Joey picked at the fries on his plate and sighed softly. "I told her I'd think about asking you but I didn't want to because I knew you'd say no."

"Joey—,"

"You forget you have a family, Widia." He cut me off. "And we can help you. You can move in with us. Beth and I have talked about this before. Zoey and Eli would love to have you at the house more often."