| 3 |

It had been three hours since I began staring at my ceiling and when I finally looked over to my alarm clock, I saw that it read 4:37a.m. Should I go for a walk? Maybe. Should I try to get some sleep? Probably, but that wouldn't work. I pushed myself out of bed and began to change into a pair of sweatpants, boots, and a hoodie. Then, I made my way down to the kitchen.

As I was crossing the kitchen to get to the back porch, I felt like I was being watch. When I turned my head and happened to glance to the table, I saw Bucky sitting there. The only way I could tell it was him was by the light above the stove.

"Shit!" I cursed and jumped, grabbing my chest as my heart thumped loudly. "You scared the hell out of me."

"Sorry." He shifted a little in his seat. "I.... I couldn't sleep."

"Me too." I sighed and brushed my fingers through my hair. "I'm just going for a walk down along the shore, maybe to the dock. Want to come with me?" Bucky was quiet for a moment, watching me carefully.

"Why?"

I crinkled my brows together for a moment and then answered him.

"I-I don't know. I just.... I just walk when I'm tired but can't sleep. I mean, you don't have to if you don't want to. I can go by myself." I shrugged my shoulders lightly. Bucky took a few moments to think and then stood up. We were silent as we descended the steps and got to the sand. "Hey, I.... um.... I don't want to make anything weird but.... I know what it's like to be a P.O.W. I don't...." I paused an rubbed my cheek. "I don't like talking about it. But if it helps you, then I will. One friend to another, I guess. I don't know. I don't have many friends."

I felt so stupid but part of what was talking was my lack of sleep.

"You were a prisoner of war?"

"Well.... not necessarily war but.... when I worked for S.H.I.E.L.D., shit happened." My palms became sweaty and my chest began to get a little tight. "Bad shit. Just.... Just didn't like any of it. It's hard to deal with. I mean, hell. Six years since it happened and I'm-I'm getting worse. And I'm rambling to a freaking man I met only three days ago. Or was it two? I don't know." I huffed, shaking my head a little. We made our way down on to the dock. "I'm just the biggest freaking idiot in the world. I don't think I took all my meds this evening."

"You're talking more now than I've heard you talk in the past few days."

"It's cause I've finally hit the point where I'm about to pass out. So if I do, just leave me here." I grunted as I sat down on the edge of the dock with my legs criss crossed. Bucky was silent as he sat beside me. The sound of crickets could be heard in the distance and the waves hitting the shore could also be heard but other than that there wasn't much to listen to.

"Summer nights out here are the best." I said. "The cicadas and the heat and all the other animals you can hear. I never liked really being outside until I quit S.H.I.E.L.D., but I couldn't imagine not living here."

"It's nice." Bucky nodded his head softly. "I like that this place isn't so close to everyone else."

"Me too." I laid back on the dock and looked up at the starry night. Millions of white sparkles littered the dark blue and black sky. "I like being alone."

"It's not.... It's not that I like it." He whispered, his tone just shy of being out of earshot. "It's that it's safer for everyone else if I'm away from them."

I turned my head to look at him and saw he was looking back at me.

"Everyone's dangerous in their own way."

"You say that but...." He trailed off.

"I can make things spontaneously combust. I think that makes me dangerous."