Chapter 13

Oliver had taken my aunt out for breakfast, which gave Hanna a chance to decorate, and me a chance to start cooking. Before too long, the living room was covered in adorable baby blue streamers , 'it's a boy!' wall decorations, and blue and silver balloons. I'd made my aunt a diaper tower, each level wrapped in blue ribbon. Hanna had baked cupcakes in blue paper cups, and had arranged them on a table on a silver tray.

The cheesy enchiladas were bubbling in the oven, while the taco meat was ready for serving. We left everything simmering while we hurried upstairs to change into our dresses. I had opted for a light blue dress I just so happened to bring. It was off the shoulder, with two spaghetti straps over the shoulder and black bootie sandals. Hanna was wearing a blue form fitting dress with white flats. We met downstairs, just as the first few guests arrived. Hanna and I spent the next twenty minutes welcoming guests, and inviting them over to the food and drinks table. Gifts were beginning to pile up on a nearby table, filling me with a relief that superstitions hadn't prevented a good turnout.

I looked through the door at the group of girls coming our way. My heart almost stopped when I spotted Mrs. Martinsson and her daughters, making their way up the path. Oh my god, she came, and with a present! I smiled, opening up the door wide for the three of them to come through. I thanked them for coming, taking the present from Mrs. Martinsson. It stunned me when she reached over and gave me a hug. I wasn't going to lie, that simple gesture warmed my heart.

Britta and Olivia greeted me with hugs as well, handing me the gifts they had brought also. Hanna shut the door and led them into the living room, while I placed their gifts on the table. We stood at the center of the room thanking everyone for coming, and reminded them that this was a surprise party for my aunt. However, we didn't want to jump up and surprise her, because she would probably go into labor and we'd all have to birth a baby. A few of the women giggled as they enjoyed the pastries we'd gotten at a bakery in the town square.

Oliver texted Hanna to let her know that we were coming up to the door. Hanna and I hurried over to open the door. My aunt smiled at us, pointing out how many cars were lined up on the street. I smiled wide, unable to contain my excitement.

"Tia, we have a surprise for you." I said, taking her by the hand.

She waddled behind me into the living room. The group of women smiled and called out. "Surprise!"

The tears welled up in my aunt's eyes as she put a hand to her mouth. Oliver placed his hands around her shoulders, giving them each a squeeze. My aunt hugged both Hanna and me, looking at Oliver suspiciously. He grinned putting it all on the two of us.

My aunt Yolanda walked into the living room hugging each of her guests. We sat her down on a specially decorated chair. Oliver kissed her on the cheek, excusing himself upstairs. My aunt and her friends quickly dove into conversations, while Hanna and I began to serve the food. Hanna had taken care of the Swedish side of the menu and I had held back on the spiciness. I knew my aunt wasn't going to be a huge fan, but hey, these were her friends. When each woman had their own plate, we broke out the bottles of wine, making sure my aunt had sparkling cider. I could tell her mouth was watering at the glasses of wine surrounding her. A little sip probably wouldn't hurt, this would probably make us look bad.

Hanna and I handed each woman a plastic pacifier to hang around their neck. I hated baby shower games, but as long as we didn't do the melted chocolate in the diaper, any game was fine. The point of this game was to not cross your legs. Hanna and I lasted all of five seconds before we accidentally crossed our legs while leaning on the fireplace and Mrs. Andersson claimed our pacifiers.

There was tons of giggling as the women kept a close eye out for anyone crossing their legs, not to mention that we'd already gone through two bottles of wine. We beelined around the room cleaning up paper plates and abandoned plastic wine glasses. Hanna distributed the cupcakes she'd baked, while I brought in the chocolate cake we'd bought at the store. My aunt received the first piece, then we saved one for Oliver.