Chapter 2

How long does it take to get rid of jet lag? According to my nausea and lack of sleep, about a week and a half of feeling like you're pregnant and joining your aunt with some morning sickness. Never ever getting pregnant. Soon enough, it was party day and I could finally hold down a plate of food so I was ready to turn up. Or you know, whatever the Swedish equivalent to that was.

My aunt and Oliver were busy making the final touches to the decorations around the house and outside. The backyard pool had been cleaned, the grass trimmed, and the garden removed of weeds. Oliver had also stocked the refrigerator with alcohol and soda, while Aunt Yolanda had taken care of the food. Even in her condition, there was no keeping her out of the kitchen.

Hanna grabbed the four leashes hanging from the hooks by the back door and handed me two. Athena, Gaia, Aphrodite, and Europa came bounding into the kitchen with tails wagging and tongues hanging out. I hooked onto Athena and Europa's collars letting the girls pull me behind Hanna. The sun was strong in the sky, still against a bright blue background. I couldn't help but stare at how clear and beautiful it was, but then I remembered I could go blind by staring into the sun. Birds were chirping in trees with gray squirrels running across yards. The puppies lunged at each one, only to be pulled back by one of us. Hanna took the opportunity to tell me about her friends and her boyfriend, that had just gotten back from a family trip to Malmö, down in Southern Sweden.

With each word, I grew more and more nervous. I'd just gotten to know Hanna and Oliver, and even in a week and a half, I hadn't told them much. Now, I was going to have to get to know a whole new brood. My parents promised me a quiet time in Sweden with just family. Hanna's friends were probably nice and friendly, but the last thing I wanted was to make idle small talk and try to be fun. I wasn't really in a headspace to socialize.

I shook the thoughts out, turning back to Hanna. Come on girl, just get through it.

"But before all that, we're going to get our hair done and get some cute clothes on, because there are going to be very cute guys there tonight." Hanna sang, giving way to a light accent.

"Uhhh, don't you have a boyfriend?" I asked.

"They're for you silly. It's summer and you need to have some fun."

"I don't think that's—I—uh."

"This is Sweden, the land of the blonde and the blue-eyed, even if you don't want to look, you will."

"You guys should have that at the airport." I said.

"Been saying it my whole life. Yolanda told me that you're a bit shy, and quiet. This is your chance to break free for a little bit."

Ugh this had my mom written all over it. 

"I'm just really bad at small talk. If someone says, 'oh I like your dress,' I'll just be like, 'thanks, I like clothes too.'" I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose. 

That was an actual conversation I'd had. Hanna giggled quietly, seemingly mindful of her neighbors that were tending to their lawns or out for a jog.

"I promise you, you'll enjoy this party. If you start to feel awkward, just excuse yourself and come find me. Deal?"

"Deal."

"Oh, Europa's pooped on the Andersson's lawn." Hanna frowned.

"Your dog, bruh." I said, brushing myself off, of the responsibility.

"Bruh?" Hanna asked.

"It means like bro, like friend."

"Oh! Sorry, they don't teach us American slang.