Could You Love Me {VII}

Start from the beginning

Everyone stared, girls breaking out into gossip at my appearance.

Taylor and her clique laughed at me as I walked by, which made Imogen forcefully pull me away from them, sensing I was about to stop.

Welcome to high school.

***

I walked into third period History, seeing Axel sitting in his normal seat. He didn't acknowledge my presence as I sat down a desk away from him, making me realize he was doing what I told him to.

And for some reason I was bothered by the fact that he actually listened to me. I guessed a small part of me was hoping he wouldn't.

But now that small part was dead to me because all it did was cause me problems and trouble. I should be glad that we could go back to how things used to be, zero communication unless it was necessary.

"I've been receiving multiple requests for partner work, so today you will be working with the person beside you. The text book page numbers are on the board, get to work."

Axel stood up from his seat, making me look up at him.

"Where are you going?"

"You can do it yourself." He replied coldly. "Don't forget to add my name."

"You're ridiculous." I scoffed, watching his angry expression.

"Guess now we can say we've both disappointed each other." He bit, walking straight out the classroom.

The old hag sitting at her desk didn't even notice he left, making me sigh angrily, pinching the bridge of my nose.

I didn't mean to disappoint him.

***

The day seemed to go by slower and slower, making me wish I never came.

"Oktober, wow! Finally back at school! Now I can ask, did you have fun with Davidson at the track?" Taylor asked, her bitchy smirk plastered on her face.

I closed my locker, spinning around so we were face to face, feeling fury course through my veins at the mention of him and her playing it for a joke.

A crowd was already forming around us and I knew she was just basking in the attention.

"Sex out in public though? That's a new low for you, little O."

Little O.

I felt my fists itching to meet her face, the tiny bit of sanity in me forcing them to stay by my side.

"You don't know anything about me." I seethed, feeling my anger reach a new level of high.

"Oh I know you." Taylor smiled sickly as she leaned closer to me. "You're a little slut who begs to be fucked by her ex at the track."

I grabbed a fistful of her tragically dyed blonde hair, using it to smash her face against the lockers, hearing the satisfying sound of her nose cracking. The crowd gasped as I pulled her head back, revealing her pain stricken face and bloody nose.
I kicked the back of her shins in, making her collapse onto her knees, a position she knew all too well.

"Don't you ever bring him up to me again." I spat, kicking her back in so she hit the ground with a 'thud'. "Have fun getting that nose job fixed."

The crowd watched as I picked my stuff up, escorting myself to the office.

***

"Two days suspension." I announced, getting into Kate's car. "It's okay to be mad."

"I'm not mad, hun. It was a sensitive subject that she teased you about and I don't blame you for acting out." Kate spoke, giving me an assuring smile. "You remind me of your mother. We weren't particularly nice to the mean girls when we were in high school either."

I smiled as she clutched my hand, giving it a small squeeze.

"Kate, I've never thanked you."

"For what hun?" She questioned, looking at me confusedly for a second before turning back to the road.

"For taking me in and pausing your life because of me, taking care of me. For three years, I've never thanked you. I'm sorry."

I was an asshole to my family and I knew it. I couldn't help but push away the people I loved most, it was the only thing that helped me cope, beside alcohol.

Imogen was the only one that I couldn't push away even if I tried. She had been with me since diapers and knew me like the back of her hand. I had changed over the years involuntarily, along with my many other things in my life, but she was my one constant.

My family never left me either, but I used them as pushovers, feeling my guilt from the past years creeping up on me.

Kate smiled at me, catching me by surprise. "Don't be sorry hun, I know it's been tough. And I know your thankful, even if you don't show it. Like I said, you remind me of your mother."

I gave her a small smile back, letting my head rest against the window, watching everything go by in a blur.

***