[Chapter 9] Separation and Closeness

Start from the beginning

I could hear his breathing calm and the rustling of fabric. I turned to see what he was doing (after all, if I was going to die then I preferred to see it coming). "Woah!" I shouted, shutting my eyes fiercely closed and spinning around like a tabletop.

"You should remove your clothes as well, Leta. Your fragile body is susceptible to sickness. Remaining in cold clothing will do you no good."

I peeked an eye in his direction. I got a bright flash of muscled male skin. My face erupted with heat and I quickly trotted my over to the bedroom and shut the door firmly closed. One glimpse at his body and I wasn't feeling so cold. In fact, I was feeling rather warm. I ripped my sopping wet shirt off and tore my pants down my body. I waved my hand in front of my face like a fan and I breathed deeply. There was a naked guy in my house. I laughed.

This was a weird day, and I think I kind of liked it. I put on fresh clothes and jumped when I heard an odd thump noise from the living room. I quickly . . . and cautiously . . . made my way out. The stranger had wrapped one of my Grandmother's hand-knitted blankets around his waist. He was kneeling before the fireplace and currently trying to start a fire. I frowned. I didn't think we had firewood. I looked closer and realized he had another one of my grandmother's blankets stuffed in the fireplace along with some cardboard boxes and toilet paper.

"You can't burn that!" I shouted. I ran at him but I was too late. Just as I approached the whole myriad of things erupted into flames. I stopped short and looked on in disbelief.

"Stay here while I find something to sustain the fire. Warm yourself, Leta."

A disbelieving laugh escaped me as I realized he was running outside into the storm dressed only in one of Gram's hand-knitted blankets. What was he hoping to find? I shook my head. I did not want to know.

I moved closer to the fire and crouched down. I felt bad that Grams lost one of her blankets, but oh well, better it than me. She had plenty, anyway. Maybe she wouldn't notice it was missing. Then again, maybe she wouldn't be coming back at all. My arms crossed over my chest, and I let my mind wander as I gazed into the flickering flames.

"The wood is wet, but it was partially covered. I think it will provide for a few hours. Are you feeling better?"

He set the wood down beside the fireplace and came to sit beside me. My gaze turned to him, and I watched him. I could see the slope of his nose, the planes of his cheekbones, and the dark edge of his jaw clearly. His eyes were so bright that I could not help but see everything within those vibrant orbs. However, I did not know what any of it meant. I had no clue what emotion he felt or thought he considered. He was a mystery to me.

"Who are you?"

His blue eyes twinkled with something, it almost seemed mischievous but I didn't get that vibe from him. He seemed playful, but I didn't get the sense that I was being played.

He leaned over as if to share a secret. His gaze was intense, completely unwavering. "You will have eternity to find out."

"Ah," I nodded. I leaned closer to him. "Well, in that case, I want to get started. Can I have your name?"

His lips broke into a beautiful, bright smile. "You can have all of me, I promise."

My lips couldn't help but curl into a smile of their own. "Oh? And can I have a simple, straight foward answer from you too?"

He nodded, the lightest of movements. "You can have that too. Augustus."

I frowned and moved back. "August what?"

"My name."

"Your name is what?"

"Augustus," he repeated.

I thought we had been communicating so well up to that point. "Augustus?" I said, trying it out on my own lips. He watched my lips as I repeated it.

"Weird name. Where are you from?"

This time he frowned and moved slightly away. A dark shadow seemed to cover his face as he looked to the ceiling. "Somewhere very different. Somewhere very beautiful."

Despite his seriousness, I laughed. "And somewhere very far, far away?"

He turned his gaze back to me. "Yes."

I kept looking at him, thinking he'd say more, but he didn't. I shook my head at him, trying to prompt him for details. But he didn't give any.

I eventually turned to the fire and looked at it instead. "Indiana is far away too. Not too beautiful. Not much of anything there really." I wonder why I missed it.

We sat in silence for a good amount of time. I don't know what he was thinking. I was struck at the comfort of his presence. I'm surrounded by people all day at school. I was engaged in conversation several times a day by several strangers. Here was one stranger beside me, and we had barely spoken, yet I didn't feel alone with him. I was absorbed by the heat and calm popping sounds of the fire, yet I was subtlety aware of Augustus' presence. He was like a comforting blanket. It didn't demand your attention, and it may not be conscious, but you knew and were grateful that it was there surrounding you.

I finally braved another look in his direction. He had been staring at the fire too, but at my movement, he looked toward me. My heart chilled at the ice blue of his eyes. Where was he from? I opened my mouth to ask again, but closed it. He probably wouldn't answer. If he wanted to tell me, he would have already.

"So. Of all the places you could be on a Thursday night, why spend it with me? Don't you have friends?"

"I have six brothers in town with me, but you are more valuable to me than a friend, Leta. I have spent great amounts of time with them and not nearly enough with you. It is supremely important that we grow close together."

"Grow close together? We're just sitting here."

He perked up at my statement and drew closer to me. The heat from the fire must have done him good, because his skin was very warm. He scooted next to me until our hips touched, and he wrapped his broad arm around my shoulder, pulling me into his hot chest before I knew what was happening.

"O-kay," I muttered under my breath. Not sure how what I said caused this to happen.

"Do you feel closer to me now?"

"Uh. . . yeah. But that's because we are closer."

Augustus gently took one of my hands and placed it against his chest. The soft beating was like a rhythmic drum solo, lulling me to sleep. I closed my eyes. Escape from this world was near, and I was ready to dream.

"You are safe with me, Leta. I will protect you at all costs. I promise."

I inhaled deeply and exhaled with contentment. I felt him press a kiss to the top of my head. And then I dreamed.