Chapter 29

Milo walked into the living room to find Bricia and Josanna being cold to one another, as they bickered. They were sitting back to back, arguing about who was to blame for them being discovered.

Carlton and Grene were deep in conversation, while Oswine slept in an armchair by the window. He felt a prickling on the back of his neck and knew that however this all ended, he was going to lose his Beta. Either through madness and grief or to a quest that could take him away forever. But he would cope.

He would find another to replace him as Beta, maybe Yosi, and he would give Leo the freedom to pursue his mate to whatever end. Because he deserved happiness. He deserved to feel what he felt with Katarina. He deserved it for all the arguments they'd had and he had won. For all the times he had listened to him whine about his sense of his mate being 'confusing'. For all the times he had put up with his incessant flirtations and need for Katarina, since they had found one another as mates.

Leo had put up with a lot over the last few years. This was his time to focus on himself and do something that would make him complete. Or at least give him answers. However it turned out, Milo would be there to welcome him back with love and open arms.

Katarina would keep them in contact with one another, in case his Beta ever needed their help. She had opened his mind so he could connect with his mate on a more intimate level.

Ever since the first time Katarina put her thoughts into his head, he felt a spine tingling closeness to her. He wanted Leo to feel that with his mate too. And if he wasn't a mind reader, as Katarina was, maybe she could help him open the door for his mate too.

"Milo," Carlton's voice caught his attention and he looked around at the other Alpha.

That was when he noticed he had stalled inside the door of the room, for no reason. He walked over to the sofa where the two fathers sat and perched on the arm of the chair beside Grene.

"We have discussed the matter and believe it best if you administer some form of punishment to the girls for their actions against your Beta," Carlton continued, with a serious look that said they had put a lot of thought into it.

"I'm sorry, was that in any doubt?" Milo wondered.

For some reason Carlton and Grene smiled, knowingly. As if well aware that he was going to punish the girls anyway, but they wanted to give their spoken consent.

"No. But we have thought of some punishments, if you would like to hear our suggestions?" Carlton explained calmly, smiling.

Milo gave him a nod of agreement, letting him go ahead and give their views, before he decided whether he liked the ideas or not.

"The girls will switch places," he began, only for Milo to get to his feet in protest and begin pacing. That was not the solution he was looking for. Any punishment given to Josanna, Janet and Bricia had to fit their crime.

"That's hardly fair. That's landing us with Bricia!" he protested to that very suggestion, with gusto. There was no way he wanted his pack to suffer being landed with Bricia.

Carlton nodded and didn't bother arguing with him. "Yes, I am aware of this. However, Bricia is practically worshipped by the men in our pack. It would do her good to become socially unacceptable for a while," he smiled in approval of the way Milo was studying him closely.

Once he was finished speaking his part about his daughter, Grene moved into the conversation. He offered his similar reasons for wanting Josanna to move into Carlton's more conservative pack.

"And you know, Josanna," Grene said, with a look that said he really didn't have to explain. "She is too concerned with her looks and popularity. Too caught up in the luxuries our pack enjoy. She will learn to be humble with Carlton and his people," he claimed.