Chapter 14

When Milo left the room, Leo crinkled his nose in annoyance. He knew fine well what he meant. He meant that he and Katarina were going for a shower that was more for fun than cleanliness.

He wasn't sure if it annoyed him more because he couldn't do the same thing with his mate or if he was still just grumpy at having been woken so early.

"I'm afraid you'll have to suffer it like the rest of us, Leo," Oswine interrupted his musings, surprising him. "The mating is the strongest force we shifters ever encounter. Once you mate with your true mate, your whole world revolves around them for the rest of your life," he revealed, disappointing him a little. "The first week is particularly tough on those around you, because the mating instincts are clear..." he explained.

Leo felt bad about ragging on them both so much, when it seemed to be such a natural thing after the initial mating. But he was still a little confused. "What do you mean?" he wondered, glad to have someone to talk to about these things. His own parents were a little less worldly wise and particularly shy about discussing anything to do with sex.

Oswine laughed at him, which was unappreciated. "I mean that Milo is trying to get her pregnant. That is the whole purpose of a mating," he explained, as if it was a simple thing. But it wasn't. "It is natural after a mating and I rather believe that Milo has motives of his own, as well," he said, enigmatically.

"You mean, more than just being a horny bugger?" Leo quipped, bringing a smile to Oswine's face.

"Yes, Leo. Much more than that."

***

Milo made it upstairs to find clothes strewn across the bedroom floor and the sound of the shower running. He smiled and discarded his own clothes before opening the shower door and ducking inside quickly.

The water was warm already and Katarina was soaked, running a careful hand through her hair, to straighten out any kinks the water had created.

I love you, little wolf, he confessed, for no other reason than that he felt like saying it. He smiled when Katarina took a half step back and moulded herself into his body. He loved that she wasn't scared or shy of their relationship any more, but happy to explore it and getting more confident with herself as the hours rolled by.

He kissed her wet shoulder and nuzzled into her neck, enjoying having the scent of her on his skin. He looked down at the bite marks he had left on her shoulder that morning and nipped them teasingly.

I'm not sure if there are many more ways I can leave my mark on you, little wolf. What do you think? he asked, tormenting her as she moved one hand back to grasp his hip. He let out a groan of approval and nipped the lobe of her ear as he slid his hands over her stomach and gently pulled her into even closer contact with his body.

It felt heavenly to have her so close, protected by more than just his instincts and, for once, completely safe.

I think you're going to get us into an awful lot of trouble, Katarina whispered the words inside his head as she turned in his arms.

He wasn't sure whether to be happy about that or not. He decided to go with happy and tangled his hand into her hair, cradling her head. He took a moment to let his eyes roam over her and crushed his lips to hers.

I'm the Alpha, little wolf...I can't get into trouble, he reminded her as he kissed her lazily. He wanted so many things and there wasn't enough time for any of them.

Katarina moaned as she reciprocated the passion in his kiss, pressing her body tightly against his.

In a moment, her arms were wound around his back and Milo had her pressed up against the shower cubicle wall. Their kiss was almost frantic with need and desperation.

I love you, Katarina's voice made its way into Milo's head and he smiled, breaking the kiss to nuzzle into her neck.

He was pretty convinced that their passion for one another would never dim. They would be locked in this endless battle their whole lives; making love endlessly, tiring themselves out, having fun and making love again. It seemed to be all he could think about, since their mating, but he was trying his hardest to curb his instincts. Their love was about more than just their bodies.

Milo opened the shower door and grabbed the towel hanging on the rail as Katarina turned off the water. He smiled when he stepped out and watched his mate ringing her hair of the excess water, in the shower cubicle.

He caught her in the towel as soon as she escaped the tiny box and set about rubbing her dry. She giggled and squirmed when he brushed the towel over her sensitive sides, making him do it again on purpose. Once she was completely dry, Katarina turned the towel onto him and they enjoyed the feeling of closeness.

Milo, Her internal voice spoke as she stood behind him, drying off his shoulders. He made a small sound to let her know he was listening. A kiss brushed his shoulder blade and the base of his neck. "I love you," she whispered the words into his ear and he smiled. And I know what you're doing.

Which is? Milo wondered what she was hinting at. There were a lot of plans going through his mind at the moment. And not just figuring out the nearest surface to pin her to, either.

Katarina appeared in front of him looking content and shy. It was a nice mixture. I know you're trying to get me pregnant, she said, with a knowing look and not even a hint of accusation in her voice.

Would it be such a bad thing? I am the Alpha, after all. It's kind of my whole purpose, he reminded her, cheekily.

She blushed and discarded the towel to the floor, before laying her arms over his shoulders.

He couldn't help but raise an eyebrow; she hadn't done that before. I mean, it's not like I'd have to be especially careful with you while you were pregnant. You're the strongest girl I know. And our son is the most powerful shifter known to the world.

Ah, but there's the problem you see, Katarina objected. First born son doesn't necessarily mean 'first born'. He might have a big sister, she reasoned gently.

Milo shrugged. And if he does, she'll be just as special and just as important, he countered her argument with some sincerity. And just as strong,

There was no reason to believe that Katarina was any different in the pregnancy department than all the other shifters were. She was strong, physically and mentally; she would carry a child just as well as any other shifter. There was no reason to treat her like a china doll and there was certainly no reason not to make love to her while she was pregnant.

In fact, it was usually encouraged, to strengthen their mate bond, at a time when whatever child she was carrying, boy or girl, would be trying to create their own bond with her. It had happened before, that a child's bond with its mother had nearly completely cancelled out the mate bond between mother and father. Milo wasn't going to let that happen to them.

Why don't you just worry about this boring day we're going to have, stuck in a room with Leo and my father, he said dramatically, giving her his famous pout for emphasis. Not able to enjoy any inappropriate touching or kissing. Let me worry about you? he suggested teasingly.

Katarina giggled and let him cup her face. You're completely incorrigible, she sighed happily.

Milo made another noise of agreement and kissed her. He combined the kiss with the brush of his fingers against the base of her spine. He lifted her off her feet and carried her through to the bedroom where they would finally conceded defeat and get dressed. After he'd proven just how incorrigible he could be.