chapter 32: Eleutheromania

Eleutheromania

Eleutheromania

(n) an intense and irresistible desire for freedom
• • •

The boat arrives today.

My aching heart didn't stand a chance against the nauseating anxiety threatening to spill from my stomach. The emotions of guilt, longing, nervousness, and fear all tangled in my brain like a corkscrew. My head is pounding wildly in response. So many of my thoughts are mixing into one beat, one melody, thrashing at my head like a hammer until I feel like screaming.

They need to think you're leaving.

They do.

As much as it pains me to see the faces of my friends, seeing Enoch's is enough to push me over the edge. I had no chance yesterday to tell him of the real plan, and there is no way I will tell him today. It's too late. Though I trust Enoch with every single muscle in my body, I still can't bring myself to tell him what will really happen this afternoon. There's a chance he could spread the news accidentally or get hurt if he contains any knowledge of the upcoming resistance. I can't let anything happen to him or to my precious Claire. I care for them too much.

"Love?"

I turned around to come face to face with the one person who melts my bones into mush. The one who twists my brain into endorphins and plasters idiotic smiles on my face. The one I can't look at without wanting to kiss him until I can no longer breathe.

"Enoch," I breathed out, startled to see him in my doorframe.

"I didn't mean to scare you, love," he whispered slowly walking towards me.

I stayed silent, giving Enoch a small smile. It was taking every inch of my soul not to run up to him and explain everything.

"Do you need help, um. Packing?" he asked carefully, studying my face.

My eyes widened as my mouth dropped open.

"I- uh. No, no. I don't need help packing. I'm already done!" I rushed quickly.

Enoch's eyes peered over to the suitcase behind me. It was wide open, containing nothing but dust.

His eyes shifted between me and the case, narrowing with every passing second.

"Are you, feeling well?" Enoch asked, stepping forwards. I started walking backwards in response.

I shifted from foot to foot, not being able to speak. The backs of my thighs came into contact with my bed and I stumbled to the side. Enoch steadied me in an instant, but his eyes still searched mine.