chapter 14: Drapetomania pt.2

Drapetomania

Drapetomania

(n) an overwhelming urge to run away
• • •
>>Part 2<<

I stifled a laugh and eavesdropped on Claire's conversation with Mr. Enthen.

"Oh you poor child! Let me go get my wife. Stay here little one."

If I weren't hiding, I'd be laughing until my stomach hurt.

The heavy man padded back upstairs and I took this time to pop out from behind the couch. Claire gasped and I laughed.

"You sneaky girl!" I teased quietly, picking her up.

She giggled and raised a determined eyebrow. "That necklace is mine."

Raising my eyebrows in return, I looked at Enoch who was staring at the stairs. I followed his gaze.

A large dog stood at the top of the stairs growling down at us.

"Jinx, quiet boy," I heard Mr. Enthen say. Before I had time to drop down, he had seen us.

"Hey! Let go of that little girl!" My eyes widened and I set Claire down quickly. Mr. Enthen came pounding down the steps, followed by Jinx and his other dog.

"Run!" Enoch yelled. I began to run through the house, Mr. Enthen following me. The dogs barked wildly and were chasing Enoch.

Knowing I needed to help Enoch, I turned around and faced Mr. Enthen. He stopped abruptly and stared at me as I scowled and allowed my eyes to change into a deep purple. Mr. Enthen's mouth dropped and he slowly began to walk backwards.

I put my hand out in front of me, palm up, and felt a spark of electricity pop off of my hand. Mr. Enthen jumped back in fear. I let my mind drift to one thing only, and it surprised me. Enoch. Placing my palms together, a buzzing noise began to form. As I pulled my hands apart, a thick electric current traveled from palm to palm. I grinned with pride, and to Mr. Enthen, looked like a serial killer. He raised his pointer finger at me and shook with fear.

 He raised his pointer finger at me and shook with fear