Futile Attempts

I sit in the wood chair as Fury storms out rather dramatically. I smirk and play with my ring absentmindedly, picking at my neon pastel green nail polish. After a few moments, the door opens and I see Clint, the guy from the bank, walk in, but this time the ginger isn't with him. I continue to play with my ring until he walks right up to me. 

"Are you here to interrogate me too?" I ask coolly, but really I'm exhausted and my headache never went away. I have been here for about an hour, and my back aches along with my shoulder. Also, to add to my list of fun things, my handcuffs are on too tight, and they're cutting into my wrists. 

"No, I'm here to take you to your room." Clint says flatly.

I chuckle and raise the eyebrows, "I get a room?"

He smiles a bit, "You're not a prisoner, you know that?"

"It doesn't feel like that, if I try to leave, I get taken back inside. Seems like a prsion to me." I shrug.

"We can't let you go because we want the best for you," I raise my eyebrow, yeah sure. Seems legit. "Look, you saved Nat's life yesterday. I am forever thankful for that. Didn't you like the feeling, knowing you saved someone?

I think about it. Nat must be that ginger woman. I sigh and nod my head, "Yeah, but-"

"And wouldn't you love doing that more? Saving people? Your life right now, where are you going with it?"

I glance down at my hands and see that I'm fiddling with my ring again. "I don't know." I mumble reluctantly and he smirks.

"But if you stayed here, you'd have everything. A home, a job, a family."

Those words made my head lift up to look at him. A family? I have never really had one of those, not since Alli. I realize now that I wanted a family more than anything. Or at least some friends. And these people, they were like me. I could make friends with them, maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

"I'll think about it." I say quietly and look back at him. He smiles at me fondly and I smile back. 

**********

"This is your bedroom." Clint shows me into a room that has pale green walls and a white ceiling. There's a neatly made bed in the corner, and a T.V. across from it on a low dresser. There is a white desk with a spinning chair, and a reading lamp on the bedside table. In the corner closest to the door there was a puffy red chair. But the thing that amazed me most was how big it was. This one room, was just as big as my whole attic, excluding the bathroom.

My mouth falls open and I stutter again,"This is one room?!"

Clint cocks his head at me and smirks, "What do you mean? Of couse it is."

"But it's, it's huge!" I gaze around the room and turn to Clint, "I can't accept this."

"And why not?" I can't seem to find the right words to say, I'm just too dumbfounded.

"Because, I didn't do anying to deserve this." I look down at my marroon converse.

"You saved my best friend from a horrible ending, you deserve a bedroom." He says and I look back at him.

"Can I at least have a smaller one?" I ask hopefully, not willing to take such an amazing gift. He raises an eyebrow at me and chuckles.

"This is the smallest one in the living quarters kid." 

The smallest one? The smallest one?!

"Don't call me kid." I growl.

"Then what do I call you?" He asks, raising an eyebrow.