Chapter 28

When I walked inside the cave where the nursery room was I noticed Karoku, sitting on one of the beds, trying to put his clothes on. I stopped at the entrance and watched him trying to pull a black T-shirt with cut of sleeves over his head. When he finally managed to and was just about to grab his long gloves he finally noticed me. We were looking at each other through the room for a few seconds, then he just went back to what he was doing before and continued ignoring me.

I sweatdropped and slowly strolled inside his room. A day passed since we reached the mine and right now it was early morning. Everyone was already up, but the only reason I woke up so soon was because I didn't have my own room. I was sleeping in a cave where the ground was completely covered with mattresses where girls slept in and I was stuck between Mizuki and some other girl that I didn't know. That wouldn't even bother me so much if I wouldn't have the strange feeling that Mizuki was planning to violate me while I was sleeping, which creeped me out to no end.

Now I was here, after my breakfast in the crowded dining room, still kind of sleepy. I was planning on spending this day training. I managed to reach level 34 and I needed so little to be 35. That was why I needed to work hard and since I wasn't very good at training by myself I needed a training leader or something. And the people that I trained with always had to be strong, serious and preferably hate me so there would be no doubt that they would make me work until I would pass out on the floor. I knew someone perfect for the job - Karoku.

'' What are you doing here? '' Karoku groaned and pulled his second glove on his arm. He put on his vest too and looked at me then, waiting for answer.

I was staring back at him for a few seconds, studying his expression. I was in a good mood this morning and I wasn't sure why, but Karoku seemed like he was the exact opposite. Or maybe it was my fault, maybe I was the one that always made him angry. But I didn't say anything yet, so it couldn't be my fault. '' One of our medics said that I'll find you here, resting... Yeah, I knew that you were already leaving. ''

'' Is that all you wanted to say? '' he muttered, sounding slightly annoyed. Then he stood up again and slowly stretched his arms, sighing. A small screen appeared in front of him, he clicked some buttons on it, then the wands that he possessed appeared on his back again, ready to be used. '' I don't have time right now, I have work to do. ''

I wasn't sure if he was in the best condition to go do missions, but I didn't say anything about it yet. I crossed my arms and narrowed my eyes at him instead. '' Why are you acting like that? I know we don't like each other, but we could at least hold a normal conversation since I need you for something. ''

Karoku turned at me and his red eyes, burned in to mine. He seemed angry, really angry. '' You didn't say anything yet, that's right, '' he slowly started, standing in front of me. He had to look down because he was so much taller than me, while my head was tossed back. '' But you don't need to say anything, your actions speak on their own. I don't hate you, I don't know you enough to hate you. I just don't understand you. ''

My eyes widened with surprise. '' Understand me? '' Why would he even be bothered by the fact that he couldn't understand me? I was just me, no one too special or too important. And there was something else too. '' No one understands me. Even I don't understand myself. ''

Karoku gritted with his teeth in annoyance and kept looking at me with his red eyes, full of anger. '' Yes, I don't understand you. I don't understand the reason why you act the way you act. You risk your life for people that you barely even know, for people that haven't done anything to deserve something so much... You even risked your life for me! You're stupid, because you just put your life on the line like that and you don't even understand... You don't understand how fragile it is, what you're risking it for! ''