Chapter 37 : Caritatem Exspectare

Draco had been waiting outside Gryffindor Tower for close to two hours now. He refused to think about all the time he was wasting instead of studying for his OWLs, this was more important. Potter had been avoiding him ever since their kiss in the forest the other day. Draco knew he was being avoided, Potter probably being aided by his cursed Cloak and map.

As the Gryffindors, walked past him into their Common Room, they were sure to give him distrusting looks, Draco refused to back down meeting their glares, with his head held high. The thing was, if Potter had not given him a shred of hope, Draco would never have swallowed his pride and waited around for him. But -

He sighed heavily, it looked like Potter had given him the slip again, with a heavy heart he made his way back to his room. Terry was waiting for him, nervously pacing outside Gwen's portrait. Gwen looked like she wanted to reach out from her portrait and throttle Terry.

"Draco! Um - sorry - "

"Why are you here, Boot? It's late."

"Um - I just - could we talk inside?"

Gwen tutted when Draco nodded. Draco had rarely seen Terry so nervous, it made him curious and despite his misgivings he let Terry into his room. Draco sunk into the plush sofa before giving Terry a blank look.

"Boot! Make it fast, people have beds to go to."

"I - I saw you and Harry the other day -"

Draco cocked his head to one side, giving him a questioning look. Terry gulped loudly, wiping his sweaty palms on his trousers.

"I saw you both in the forest - um - snogging."

A chill ran down Draco's spine, his hands to began to shake from the adrenaline coursing through his veins. This wasn't supposed to happen, no one was supposed to know about this thing with Potter - if you could even call it that, at this point.

"Listen -"

"I d-didn't think you liked boys, I didn't think I - I - that there could be a chance."

Now Draco felt confused again, what was Terry talking about? Draco cleared his throat before asking sharply.

"Chance?"

"F-for me. I - I like you Draco."

Terry's face has a pained, expectant look on it, and Draco could imagine he had a similar one on his face, while he had waited painfully for Potter to break it to him. Thinking back, Draco could see it, the signs had all been there. The way Terry would try to cheer him up, always hovering around nervously, trying to become a part of Draco's life.

Draco swallowed bitterly, it would have been so easy to love Terry, they didn't have years of bitter history to overcome, they didn't fight each other every step of the way. Terry was nothing like Potter, he was accommodating and mindful of Draco's wishes. He didn't hurt him with his words, or with his fists. But -

He wasn't Potter.

Draco felt frustrated with himself, with this whole situation. Why couldn't he have loved Terry, who was much better suited to him than Potter? Terry was calm where Draco was fiery, kind where Draco could become cruel. He was perfect in every way, except, Draco couldn't feel for him, even a fraction of what he felt for Potter.

"B-but I get it. I m-mean you have Harry, right? I - I shouldn't have even said anything."

Except he didn't. He didn't have Harry, and that made Draco's eyes burn. He doesn't even know what to say to Terry. He must have looked particularly distraught, because Terry knelt down next to him, concern flashing in his eyes.