Chapter 18 : Tergiversationem

"Malfoy! Hey, wait up -"

Weasley was chasing him, followed closely by Granger. He hastily stuffed his Charms textbook in his bag, narrowly missing bumping into Parkinson. She sniffed loudly as he crossed her.

"What happened, Weasley?"

"We're waiting for Harry - Hedwig got banged up quite bad, he's taken her to Grubby-Plank."

"Potter's owl?"

Granger cleared a patch of leaves on the grass before sitting down cross-legged.

"I've just been telling Ron, it's quite likely she was intercepted on the way. What do you think, Malfoy?"

"Hmm, it's possible."

Potter dropped his bag, sighing heavily. He passed Black's note to the rest of them, before leaning heavily on Draco's side. Draco shrugged him off almost immediately.

"You're heavy. What does this mean, have you been in contact with Black?"

Potter explained in hushed tones about his firecall to Black. Draco couldn't believe their recklessness, he hadn't expected much better from Potter, but Black was supposed to be a responsible adult. He hissed loudly.

"Do you realize how dangerous it is for Black to contact you at Hogwarts? Someone's reading your mail, why are you not bothered about this?"

"It was sealed, and besides no one would understand what it means."

Granger looked like she wanted to protest that statement. She hesitated, exchanging meaningful glances with Weasley before trying to reason with Potter.

"I'm sorry, Harry. But, I think Malfoy's right."

Potter's temper had flared up to full capacity by now. His green eyes were ablaze, he cast a look at Weasley hoping for some support. Weasley shrugged, opening his mouth before being cowered into silence by Granger.

"Fine! You've both got everything figured out, clearly. Never mind, Sirius losing his mind in that horrendous place!"

Granger flinched, her eyes tearing up by Potter's harsh tone. Weasley was geared up for a fight, his fists clenched by his sides. Draco was used to be on the receiving end of Potter's anger, and clearly had a death wish.

"Black is an adult, he has to be more careful, lest he get discovered. The DMLE is hot on his tracks -"

"Don't you talk about Sirius that way. You've got no right, Malfoy. He's stuck there because of people like your parents - Death Eaters -"

Draco saw red, before he knew what he was doing, he was on his feet, his fist colliding against Potter's jaw. Weasley locked his arms painfully, Draco felt his anger seep out. He freed his arms, marching back to the castle.

*****************************************************************

Umbridge was waiting for them in Potions. She had banned club meetings only this morning, the whole school was abuzz with the news. Draco's thoughts had immediately gone to their secret Defense club, wondering what this meant for it. He took a seat up front, as he had become accustomed to doing, these days.

"Malfoy."

"Granger?"

Granger dropped her books and notes on the desk and started the fire under the cauldron. They worked in effective silence, following the instructions to a near perfect potion.

"Harry's sorry, by the way. He's just being stubborn."

"He can come and tell me himself."

"Harry's been - just, a little - I mean - angrier than usual this year."