Change in Behavior

I sat across the large table. Wow I never realised how big this table was, it could fit about forty people with twenty seats on each side. The table at home could fit six at the most. But I guess that's not home anymore.

A clearing of the throat sounded from across the table, I looked up finding myself looking straight into a pair of stormy grey eyes.

"Yes," I tried desperately to sound...to sound normal I guess. But even then my voice shook and trembled. How was I supposed to rule a country if I could barely address someone who was supposed to be a friend, or in other words, an Alli.

"Are you going to sit there staring at the table all day, or are you going to actually eat? I do have things to attend to," he looked at me, an eyebrow raised, acting as if I was a nuisance. A child that he had been left to babysit.

I tried to think of some witty remark, a coy response. But in the end I just turned to the Fruit Loops I had asked for, or what I believe was supposed to be fruit loops.

Sitting on a plate in front me was apples, oranges, pears, and all of them were cut into small, fragile circular shapes.

The maid stood beside my chair, beaming. Proud of the work she had done in delivering my fruit loops.

I would have corrected her, and told I wanted the cereal. I decided against it when I realized fruit loops might not be sold here. How can such a large country be so cut off from international trade?

I dismissed the maid and watched as she curtsied before walking away. Curtsied. I'd have to get used to that. Although I don't think anyone could get used to someone bowing to them every time you entered a room.

"Are you not pleased with your breakfast, Princess?" It was such a simple question, but the way he spoke that last word. Disgusted, sneering as if I was below him in every manner possible. Had I done anything to bother him? Said something out of turn, something rude, or insulting? That last time I had seen him was last night when I left in the guest chambers.

"No the Breakfast is fine...I'm displeased by your sudden attitude." The words tumbled from my mouth before I could stop them. While I was horrified at what I had just said, I couldn't help the sense of pride that washed over me.

"Oh, I'm sorry my attitude is unsatisfactory, Your Highness." The words sounded vile coming from his mouth.

"I don't understand! Why the sudden hatred," I hadn't realised how loud my voice had risen until the maid reentered the room.

"Mademoiselle? Is something the matter?" She poked her head in the door, her french accent sounding through out the silent room.

"No every things fine, thank you..." I trailed off wondering what her name was.

"Angelique, Madame, my name is Angelique."

"Thank you Angelique."

She left the room, and we sat in silence, a dead, still silence. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 votes for the next chapter!!