Chapter 2- The Jan-Janoskians?

~The following week~

After experiencing one of the most humiliating and frustrating days of my life, I’m feeling much better now. 

It’s 8:00 am on a Monday morning, and I have forty-five minutes before I begin my first day as an official student at, 'Penola Catholic College'. Naturally, you’d be nervous and excited being the newbie of a completely new school, and of course, you’d want to give out a good first impression to your peers and teachers, and I did feel this way. I brushed my long black-brown hair; straightening it out. Then tied a cute maroon ribbon in it, matching my brand new uniform. To complete the look, I decided that I’d apply a simple stroke of liquid eye liner on my lash lines; just to give them some definition. I was ready within twenty minutes and had enough time to eat breakfast, get changed and go over the usual morning routine. I hopped into the car, where my mum drove me to Penola.

The drive was quick and a little nerve wracking. It had only been what felt like a couple of minutes, until I looked out the car window. To my surprise, I saw the school emblem with the words, “Penola Catholic College” written on it; aware that this would be my school until graduation. “You’ll be great my darling Bella. Have fun!” Said my mum reassuringly. I just smiled and took a deep breath before opening the car door. Then entered the school that I had only seen in pictures. 

As I walked through the school gates of Penola, I was in an entirely different atmosphere. The environment was completely new to me and of course, I saw students whose faces I didn’t recognise. By the way, this school has a lot more students than I’d originally anticipated. I ignored all the wondering eyes staring at me, as I confidently made my way to my assigned locker.“Let’s see, locker number 24, locker number 24, hmm... where are you?” I asked whilst searching. After a short while of scanning over different locker numbers, I finally found mine and rushed to get it opened. As I organized everything, I heard a few voices which sounded familiar, very familiar. I turned my head, wishing I hadn’t, and saw the dreaded sight of the boys who were in my front yard the other week. I was in shock. “Oh...shit. Shit, shit, shit, shit," I repeatedly said to myself. They were all huddled in a group, having a laugh and were surrounded by other students, particularly girls, and a few of their mates. All of them were giggling and carrying on. They seemed quite popular, but what ever for?

I was still in awe at the sight. “How did this happen?” I asked myself in disbelief. 

The school bell rang, indicating the beginning of homeroom (and disrupting my train of thought) and so, everyone made their way to their respective class rooms. Still staring, I watched the boys wave goodbye to their friends and watched them as they walked in my direction. I knew they had already seen me. Cowardly, I hid behind the door of my locker, creating a barrier to avoid the group of boys as best I could. They were coming closer and closer, oh gosh my heart was pounding. “Please don’t notice me, please don’t notice me!” I pleaded to myself. At this point, my face was practically buried in my locker; I must’ve looked ridiculous. I tried to make it appear as if I were looking for something, and it was buried deep in my locker. 

One of the boys was bouncing a tennis ball on the ground as he walked, Luke was it? I heard him stop in his tracks, causing my stomach to do a somersault. He started to speak, "hey aren’t you that girl from-” I turned around before he could finish his sentence (stupid move), I was now facing Luke. “...Uh...uh” I was lost for words. What the hell do I say? “I have to go!” I squealed and ran off like a complete coward.

I didn’t know what to expect of my first day at Penola...