"See look, I could've lost my life. Give me that ice cream," I helped her out of the cart and we walked to my parking spot. I remembered her face from a couple seconds ago and started laughing.

"I should've took a damn picture," she hit my shoulder as I crouched down, still laughing.

"And that's why I'm finna beat you to the car," she took off running and I jogged after her, not trying to race.

Domonique obviously had some type of training in competitive running because of her form. Just watching her you would think she ran track and plus her muscular thighs gave it away. I met her back at the car and unlocked it.

"Okay athlete, you can run fast. But don't think you faster than me." She kissed her teeth and buckled up, smirking. "Who said I was a runner?" She gave herself away.

"I never said you was a runner, you said it. Now tell me all about it, secretive ass." I drive back to my place and listen to her speak.

"I started running when I was ten. I did the junior olympics and state track meets and all of that. I was fast and got faster until I was like fifteen. Hurt myself, my brothers moved away after I got better, and I stopped running. Tearing a ligament in your leg ain't no damn joke, Jaylen." She chuckled.

So this meant if we raced she probably had a chance of beating me. I knew girls said that to flirt but she might be seriously faster than me. "You think about running again?" D really didn't have anything extra going on. I wanted to support her like she supported me today. That was something else I missed out on: being there for someone else.

She shrugged her shoulders as we got out of the car. "It's been on my mind a little, but I don't know how imma get back into it." I opened the door for her to enter and locked it behind me. I rested against the arm of the couch while she went in the kitchen and got us some spoons. Flipping through channels I settled on a movie. She walked back out and sat in between my legs, resting her head on my chest.

"You should try out for track. It will look good on your college applications." I put a spoonful of ice cream in my mouth and let it melt there.

"Yeah and you should give me some chocolate," she dug her spoon into my tub. "Besides, I ain't ran in a lil minute." Nique focused back on her own.

"Speaking of which, where are you trying to go?" She asked. I shrugged not really knowing. The plan was to wait for a scout to approach me and then see what would happen. She told me I needed a plan.

I put my spoon down and started massaging her scalp. Her sleepy smile returned. "You've come a long way Jay," her eyes fluttered shut. I took the things from her hand and set them down. I made sure she was fully asleep before taking her upstairs to Nila's old room. I unlaced and took off her boots then put her in the covers. She stirred a little bit then found the perfect position.

My feet hit the ground ever so lightly when walking downstairs. I shut off the tv and the lights and put the ice cream in the freezer. A phone vibrated but it wasn't mine. Her bag had a light showing through it, so it must've been hers. By the time I got it out the call ended. It was an unsaved number that left a couple of missed calls and texts.

I warned yo ass to get back here.

That's a bet, don't answer the phone then

I didn't know her passcode, nor did I want to go through her phone. I know I'd be pissed if anyone touched my things. I put the phone back and left her things alone.

It was 3 am when I snapped out of sleep. I already had a hard time sleeping so anything could wake me up. Something was going on upstairs that piqued my curiosity. I treaded up the stairs lightly. Domo was in the sheets laying down on her back. I walked up closer to find her sobbing. She didn't notice me so I assumed she was crying in her sleep. Tears poured out of her eyes and onto the bed. I was about to shake her out of it when she sat up and gasped for air.

She was hyperventilating and looked around at her unfamiliar surroundings. "Domonique look at me, look at me."

I put my hand on her face and her eyes stopped roaming. "You good?" Her hand snaked around mine as her breathing regulated. I hugged her and she rested her head on my shoulder. I ain't never seen D cry. As far as I could tell she was never even mad.

It was hard to read her emotions and sometimes I couldn't even tell if she had any, other than being happy. Tonight was the first instance I'd ever seen her anywhere near vulnerable. She rose out of the bed and I took her downstairs and led her to my room.

Nique used the back of her hand to wipe away the wetness on her face. "I'm straight, my bad. I should go."

"Best get your ass up in here, you ain't going no damn where." She didn't like me taking her home and I hope she didn't think she was going to walk in the middle of the night. I pulled her to my room without hearing any objections. I let her get in first and then entered on the opposite side. I wrapped my arm around her and she scooted closer to me getting comfortable.

"I ain't gon' make you talk about it right now, but you got some explaining to do."