Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

Jasmine never liked hospitals much. Not only did they bring back bad memories of the past, but the stench of disinfectant made her want to hurl. Still, she managed hold in her discomfort as she entered the main entrance with Alec and a few members of the camera crew. Within minutes of their arrival, a woman in her late forties came rushing towards them.

“Ah Mr. Alec Dalton, it’s nice to see you here again. So who is this beautiful young lady beside you?” she asked.

“Well it’s nice to see you again Nurse Lee. As for the girl, she is just another female contestant fighting every tooth and nail for my heart,” replied Alec with a smug smile.

Before Jasmine had a chance to jump in and deny that fact, the nurse laughed. “Ah yes, that ridiculous reality T.V show you’re starring in... I haven’t been watching much of it, but my daughter is going crazy over the episodes. She told me that you and a contestant named Jasmine McDowell would make the most adorable couple on earth. She also mentioned that you two have this hilarious love, hate chemistry.”

Jasmine suddenly turned bright red. In the corner of her eyes, she could see Alec shifting uncomfortably in his spot. After a few seconds of silence, she spoke, “Um, I think your daughter is talking about me...”

Nurse Lee’s eyebrows shot skyward in surprise, “Well then Miss. McDowell, you have my best wishes on winning his heart,” she said with a wink. “And as far as I’m concerned, he needs a classy, intelligent lady to keep him sharp, not a brainless idiot.”

Alec rolled his eyes before holding out his hand, “Enough talking old woman, and give me the list of patients that we’re going to visit.”

The nurse sighed, while shaking her head in dismay, “Your manners and attitude toward others still needs to be worked on. I hope you’re not like this every day,” she remarked as she handed him the list. “Now you will have to visit ten different children today. All of their parents have signed a form that consent your film crew to take videos of them with you two. Most of the children you have already seen or known, but I still want you to be nice and respectful to them or else you will be hearing from me. The last child on the list will be Miguel. He is the boy that will be partaking in the three kilometre marathon race for our charity event at three o’clock. As you know he is still a bit frail, so I want you to be by his side for the entire race... am I clear?”

“Yeah, yeah I heard you... Can we get started now?” asked Alec dully.

“Not just yet, you, Jasmine and the camera crew still have to change into hospital scrubs.”

“What? You want me to wear that tacky clothing that you have on? Why—”

“—this tacky clothing is my uniform and if you’re going to stay for the better part of the day, you are expected to wear it too,” cut in the nurse abruptly. “Now if you would follow me, I’ll be giving you a pair for you all to change into.”

“Ugh I hate this piece of gunk...” grumbled Alec sourly as he tugged angrily at the hospital scrubs the nurse had made him wear.

Jasmine rolled her eyes, “Quit being such a kid and start acting more your age. Just because it’s not a designer brand doesn’t mean you should whine about it,” she argued while stopping in front of the first patient’s room.

Alec merely ignored her as he knocked on the door while saying, “Hey Mike, it’s me, Alec. Can I come in?”

Without hesitation, there was a muffled reply that sounded like a “yes”.