How it all began

Summerset Island was a tropical paradise. It had been proclaimed as the world's most exotic vacation destinations. This was because it attracted hundreds of thousands of people every year. The weather was always sunny, water was always clear, and the forest was always lush and green year round. To Dirk, Dave, and Karkat it seemed like the ideal location for a family vacation.
Except for the zombies.
It happened so suddenly. One day they were playing on the beach and relaxing in the cabin they rented by the water, the next day they were running from the undead. No one remembers when or where the first case of the outbreak was, but soon these undead creatures were coming out of the forest, creeping around the shopping malls, and breaking into people's hotel rooms. They weren't drinking piña coladas, they were drinking blood.
This new plague spread fast, and anyone who got it was appropriately named "infected". Once bit, a person would get this weird sense of bliss before they fully turn into a zombie in the matter of minutes.
Soon the dead outnumbered the living. The survivors tried to call for help, but soon found all communications to the outside world had been cut-off. Phones didn't work, internet was down, and no boats were coming to shore. If they weren't busy surviving, people might have died from boredom.
Then the military showed up, but they had not come to help. Summerset Island was quickly put into quarantine and an order was sent out: exterminate everyone, zombie and survivors alike. The risk of outside contamination was too high, no one was allowed to leave the island.
There are only three types of people on the island. The military, or the people who worked for the military. The survivors, who are the rebels on the island. And the infected, which are pretty self explanatory.
What caused this freak outbreak? Well some say that the resort was built on an old chemical dumping ground, and others say that this the curse of a long-dead tribe. Perhaps even the resort itself is just a cover-up for a high-risk government experiment! But who cares, all that matters is getting out alive
Welcome to Summerset Island!