Chapter 17

Maliya

"I'm sorry I didn't call you on your birthday, I was working and it just slipped my mind. I know it's horrible bu-"

"Dad, it's okay."

"No, Maliya, it's not okay. Your mom told me what happened."

I sighed. I honestly didn't know what to say. It's even more nerve wracking for me because I don't know what he's thinking. "She told you everything?" I ask.

"Yes. Everything you told her."

"Well I told her everything," I pursed my lips.

"Why aren't you pressing charges?"

"I am! I mean, I'm not. I mean...I don't know what I'm gonna do." I stressfully threw myself back on my pillows and closed my eyes.

"Well, whatever you do, I know it will be the best choice."

I nodded then realized he couldn't see me. "Mhm."

"I've missed you, sugar foot." I can't believe I missed you growing up. Pictures on Facebook wasn't enough. It actually hurt to see you on your sweet sixteen and go on your junior prom," my father vented.

"It wouldn't have hurt if you flew over here. Or sent me some tickets to get to you. I want to see Justice and Judea." I pouted.

"That's why I want you to come here for college. California is a great State and the colleges here are great as w-"

"Woah woah woah," I interrupted him, " my mom knows I have my heart set on either NYU or University of Penn."

"I know, but your mom and I talked about this years ago."

"Well why are you just telling me now?!"

"Because, I feel that this is the right time."

"You feel?" I drew my eyebrows together, "what about what I feel?"

"I don't want to argue with you. So, can you at least think about it and we'll talk about this tomorrow?"

"Yeah sure whatever," I rolled my eyes.

"Talk to you later M-"

I hung up on him out of frustration. So many emotions and thoughts ran through my head causing a throbbing head ache. I laid my head on my pillow and closed my eyes, hopping for peace.

I was nearly off to sleep when a buzz frightened me and caused me to jump up. I checked my phone, the obvious culprit. My most recent notification was a text from an unknown number.

***2570

1 attachment

Attached was a photo of Keith and me Kissing in his classroom. It was certainly us, clear as day.

I covered my mouth in shock. I didn't think anyone was in the halls that day. Another message came in from the same number.

Unless you want this picture leaked, you better not testify in court - T

Of course it was Tyra and boy, this bitch is smart. I can't tell anyone she's threatening me with that photo because Keith could get into a shit load of trouble. I'm bounded. My hands are tied at everything and I feel like I have no control over my life.

°°°

After a series of tossing and turning, I accepted the fact that I wouldn't be able to get to sleep. I checked the time on my phone.

12:32 am

I sighed and turned on my lamp. I'd decided that I would use the number Keith gave me that I stuffed in my book bag.

"Hello?" I heard his husky and tired voice come through the phone.

"Hey, Keith. It's Maliya."

"Are you okay, do you need me to come get you?"

"No I'm fine, I just couldn't get to sleep. And I need to talk to you."

"Hold on," I waited a few moments then I heard his voice through the phone again. "Alright, what's up?"

"I can't testify against Jayven and Tyra."

"What the hell?! Why not?!" he whisper yelled.

"Because, I care about you too much." I said, starting to cry.

"What are you talking about, Maliya?"

"Tyra texted me a couple hours ago and she sent me a photo of us kissing on the last day before break. She threatened to leak the picture if I agreed on testifying."

I heard him sigh through the phone. "I'll quit," he said.

"No! That would look even more suspicious, Keith. And they'd still come after you. I can't let that happen to you. I-I love you."

"Don't, testify then," he said. I couldn't get another word out before he hung the phone up saying he had to go.

Ugh what the fuck? Why would I say, 'I love you?' I probably sounded stupid as hell. But he knows I'm going through a lot, right? I mean...he must have some type of feelings for me. I know he does. He has to.

°

Keith

I crawled back into my bed and sighed. I wrapped my arms around Xara and kissed her forehead. Yeah, I was wrong for leaving Maliya hanging like that but Xara swung by and I couldn't just say no to her. I know for sure that I'm in love with Xara. She's my college sweet heart. We've been on again off again for about four years and I guess...we're on again. I've come to realize that Maliya was just a phase in my life. I was missing Xara so the attention Maliya gave me made me weak and I let myself fall for her. Now that Xara's back though, I can finally focus on reality.

Xara's curly mane tickled my nose and I smiled as her body snuggled closer to mine. I nestled my head into my pillow and drifted off to sleep.

°°°°

°°°°

🐸🐸🐸🐸☕☕☕☕ NIGGAS.AIN'T.SHIT.