Mourning

My scream must have awakened Cornelia as the man behind the stone wall shot Blue Eyes. He fell down with a pained scream.

No!

I raced towards them but Cornelia grabbed a now terrified Cornelius and handed him to me. Both of us dodged a gunfire and she gave a pained smile before signing "Take care of my son...and Caesar"

I watched in horror when a bullet pierced her skin and she fell down but was still alive. Tightening my hold on the baby before me, I ran as fast as I could with tears falling down on my cheek.

***

My breathing was ragged as I hid behind some stone walls. Cornelius didn't say anything but was occasionally whimpering in my arms.

I made soothing circles on his back and signed to him "Be brave little one" Cornelius looked at me and nuzzled his face into the crook of my neck.

A loud roar of anger made me jump and I tightened my grip. Cornelius whimpered as I snuck a peak and scanned the area.

No sign of any humans. Good.

I slowly made my way back to the place where I last saw Cornelia and saw Caesar looking mournful and the light in his eyes dimmed did I realize that Blue Eyes and Cornelia were...gone.

Cornelius slid of my shoulders and made a noise in which Caesar responded harshly by pulling out a spear and snarling at our direction.

Both of us winced as Cornelius took hesitant steps to his father as I waited with belated breath.

Caesar's eyes widened when he saw us and held out his arms to Cornelius as the baby chimp gave a pained wail and ran into his father's embrace.

It tore my heart to see them like this. Maurice came and saw me and I signed "what happened?" His eyes hardened "Winter has betrayed us"

Did he mean that big white ape? I grew furious. Cornelius came towards me and my fury dimmed and my eyes soften "Sleep with me. I miss my mother" I looked at Caesar for confirmation and he hesitantly nodded.

I took Cornelius in my arms and easily laid him on the moss bed and cradled him close to my chest like my mother did when I was a baby.

Sleep took me the minute I closed my eyes.

***

I was shakily being awakened by an ape that was Caesar's friend, Rocket.

"Get up...we are moving"

Moving? Where?!

I noticed that Cornelius was gone and I guessed that Caesar must have taken him.

I walked out of the alcove and in the open to see the apes riding on horseback and some going on foot.

"What is going on?" I asked to one of the apes. He looked at me and signed "we are moving. It is not safe here" I nodded when I saw Caesar hand Cornelius over to Lake and a few apes screaming at him to come back did I realize he was going to fight those humans alone.

Like I am leaving him to go do this by himself.

I grabbed the nearest horse I could find and was about to go after Caesar when Maurice, Luca and Rocket rode up to me.

"We will accompany you and Caesar" Luca signed and Maurice gave me a smile while Rocket gave an ape smirk.

***

I saw Caesar halt his horse and gave us a glare. A why - didn't you - follow - my - order glare.

"I might not come back" Caesar signed.

"And I am here to make sure you do" Maurice signed "For your son" I added.

"I know the location of the humans camp" Luca signed. Caesar, looking like he wanted to blow a gasket or go ape shit reluctantly agreed.

***

We have been traveling for hours until Luca pointed at a distance. I squinted my eyes to see a human base camp I think.

"Winter is there" Rocket signed and my fury went to the limit zone.

"Good, let me at him!" I was about to jump off my horse and storm towards Winter when Caesar held me back.

"We go. You stay!" Caesar signed and I was stunned.

"What?! Why?!" I angrily signed back. That bloody white shit of an ape was the very reason why Blue Eyes and Cornelia were dead.

Maurice gave me a parental glare and Rocket and Luce have no means of helping me so I was forced to stay here while they had all the fun.

Bloody apes...

***

I was lazily watching the camp when the soldiers started to load up.

What's happening?

The bushes rustled and my gaze snapped to the three apes but Winter was not with them.

"Where's Winter?" I asked "Dead" Rocket simply answered. Caesar said nothing but climbed up on his horse and followed the army.

"Where to next?" I asked. Luca looked at me and signed "we follow humans to their base"

Great, were off in a expedition with a 50% chance of survival.

What insanity drove me to this anyway?

Oh yeah...

I wanted to help the apes.