Teen Programme

TEEN PROGRAMME by Hadley_Swiss

Congratulations for earning a spot in the LGBTQ+: Sun-Kissed Anthology! ♥

I had always been slightly... awkward around people. Not because I was naturally awkward, but because there had always been that nagging thought, "What if they don't like me?"

Now, my brother, Julio, was looking at me, his lips kinked up into a smile. "You'll just have to suck it up now," he said, and I nodded, my emerald eyes casting looks at the ground.

"Yeah, I'll try..."

For the first time, Mum had put her foot down. "This year, Raegan, you're going out there. You're going to have a great time, and you'll be in the Teen Programme." I had smiled slightly- I mean, my Mum really believed in me. Julio not so much.

Now, I stood before the huge building. It was more like a college block or a huge secondary school than anything else, and the walls were a pastel purple, some of the paint peeling at the edges. I took a deep breath, and started to walk forwards again, Julio just a few paces behind me.

At the glass front doors, I turned around and tried to give Julio a hug. He backed away for a second before giving in, muttering, "Remember not to think about what they think, OK?" His huge arms encircled my petite frame. I could smell his strong, distinctly male deodorant, and my nose rumpled up. What on earth was the point of wearing a chemical odour?

Suddenly, another girl came up to me. She was walking quickly on ballerina flats, her black handbag swinging from her shoulder in a chaotic way. "Hey, shouldn't we be inside by now?" she asked me.

"Err, I don't... I don't know."

"It's her first time here," Julio explained.

"Ah OK. You'll love the sleepovers!" the girl said, looking at me with raised eyebrows. "They're just-"

"Sleepovers?" I asked, turning around, my hands on my hips. "You didn't say anything about sleepovers!"

Julio's eyes were wide. For a moment, he hesitated, his hands held mid-air, and then he let them drop languidly at his sides. "See you next week, sis," he said, before strolling away. What?

For a moment, I just stood there until the girl touched my arm with a long, red fingernail. A fingernail as red as her lips. I was painfully aware of the physical contact- as aware as I was that I wasn't perfect. "We should probably go. My name's Rachelle, by the way," the girl said.

"Oh. Er, Raegan," I introduced myself, staring at the floor.

"Cool! One of my best friends was called that, too. She seemed totally different though."

I suddenly remembered having drunk hot chocolate that morning. Did I still have a chocolate moustache? I didn't know what I'd do if I did. As casually as I could, I dragged my fingertips over my mouth, simultaneously asking, "Is that good or bad?"