He's much easier to talk with when he's without that group. His jokes aren't as crude, and he doesn't blast trap music and dance to it randomly. It surprises me that he can act so differently around such different people.

One version of him I've never seen is of him alone. Like I said, he's popular and people like him and they never leave him alone. I can't say I'm not the same way.

There has always been one difference between me and other people though: I enjoy my own company. Too many people for too long a time wears me out. I like to be by myself, do things by myself, go to places by myself. It's not a secret, but no one knows about it.

I never really stopped to suppose that maybe Amilcar also has that omitted secret.

Perhaps he is waiting for someone. It would be the most obvious explanation, because there are quite a few gay Mexicans out in the open. In fact, just a few days ago when June began, he and Jacqueline and Alan were wearing rainbow colored shoe laces. His feet, which are tucked under the bench and somewhat hidden by all the people walking around, show that he's still wearing them. At least he has the decency to dress up a little, because while everyone else watching the parade waves flags and smiles, he sits there, passively watching the parade go by. His school backpack ((had he not burned it in the bonfire that was held the last day of school?)) slumps on the seat next to him, looking as worn as he does. It takes up the other seat of the bench, but that's understandable as quite a few gay people who didn't get lucky when they were young try to strike at these events. I, however, am not old and unwanted, and since we are friends, I doubt he would mind my company.

I take the couple steps required for him to hear me, since various types of music are being played, and shout, "Yo, Amilcar!"

To say he was surprised would be an overstatement, but he clearly wasn't expecting me. He looks me up and down, inspecting my very homosexual attire, and when I reach him he asks, "What're you doing here?"

I find it funny that he leans over the bench handle, crossing the arms that support his weight, a very cool position for him to pull. He always seems to be doing things like that. Quickly, I reach into my own bag and pull out my water bottle, holding it out to him. "Water you doing here?"

He grins and rolls his eyes. "Yeah yeah. Mason, pun master." He waves one of his hands at me as he talks.

"I mean, whataya think I'm doing here?" I ask him, rhetorically, rescinding my water pun.

Amilcar rolls his eyes. "Well you're known for being the most homophobic guys at school."

"Uh-huh," I say, rolling with it. I'm known for being the exact opposite. "That's why we don't talk ever; it's 'cause your rainbow laces trigger me."

With that, he stretches a leg out and strikes a dramatic pose. "Paint me like one of your gay girls."

"If you wear those shoes only." And I wink at him.

The backpack is pulled off the seat and he gestures for me to sit. "Aren't you waiting for someone?" I ask him, sitting, finally getting to the question I'd first thought of.

"Nah, I decided to celebrate my newfound homosexuality in peace," he explains sarcastically.

I don't believe him for a moment. He's too gregarious to be alone. "Yeah and I'm coming here to preach on being straight. I bet you were ditched, and you were about to leave your bag here unattended."

"Oh man," Amilcar says, huffing with laughter. "An unattended bag at a gay pride parade. My parents would be so proud of me." What little I do know about Amilcar is that his parents are very homophobic. He told me that it didn't really bother him, and that all he really has to do was warn all his queer friends to act square whenever they come over. I've gotten the impression that he hides a lot from his parents.