Chapter 3 - Weakness

Start from the beginning

"Reading and writing are fine," I replied softly. "But...I think I would enjoy art."

Dean nodded as he scribbled down something on his note pad once again. His confused and slightly angered expression never changed, but he seemed satisfied that I'd given him an answer.

"What are your favorite foods, Audrey?"

Why was Alpha Dean asking me all of these personal questions? They were hard for me, as I wasn't sure about the answers to any of them. I didn't eat much. I typically had one meal per day, and that was just leftovers from the pack meals we prepared. Father never kept food in our apartment, and even if he did, it was specifically for him.

I shrugged, "I'm not picky, Alpha Dean."

"Dean," he quickly corrected, with a low growl.

My cheeks heated up once again, and I quickly looked down at my lap, focusing on my fingers as I twiddled them back and forth.

"I'm going to have them restock the kitchen in my quarters today as well. As my mate, I'd like you to have dinner prepared for us every night by the time I get home. Our servants will take care of the cleaning, as I never want you to have such a demeaning job ever again."

"Okay," I whispered. I could cook dinner for him every night. That would surely help keep me busy, but the fact that he saw cleaning as demeaning was both confusing and a bit hurtful. My eyes began to form tears, despite me trying desperately to control it. Perhaps my mate truly did think lowly of me.

Almost as if he sensed my tears, Alpha Dean spoke again.

"Audrey, look at me," he commanded.

I hesitantly looked up at him, instantly locking eyes. His expression softened only slightly when he noticed my tears, "If you're going to be the Luna of this pack, you must behave like a Luna, and I certainly will not have my Luna scrubbing toilets and mopping floors or associating with Omegas."

I nodded again, unable to speak for fear of my voice cracking. Although Alpha Dean had just somewhat confirmed that he didn't plan to reject me, he'd also confirmed that I wasn't the mate he was expecting. I was a disappointment. That was nothing new to me, but for it to be confirmed by my mate was heartbreaking.

Sensing that I was upset, Dean stood from his chair and pushed it back before walking around his desk to stand near me. He grabbed the chair I was in and turned it around so that I was facing him, before kneeling down to my level.

Dean reached out to tilt my chin up, but I flinched away. I didn't want to be this close – it was threatening. I wanted to run out of his office, but he had me caged in. I slumped down further in the chair as the tears broke free from my eyes. Alpha Dean froze before standing back up and taking a step back.

A loud growl erupted from his throat, causing me to snap my head up and look at him before cringing away once more.

"Why do you do this?!" he yelled, demanding answers. "Why won't you let me touch you? I am your mate, Audrey!"

The tears came out faster as his voice grew louder, and I was now trembling in fear. I had made him angry yet again. Dean didn't know my past. He didn't understand that the only male touch I'd ever received caused pain. He didn't know that his yelling was all too familiar to me. If he knew of my past, he would surely see me as broken and reject me.

Then again, maybe I should let him. He was a terrifying man, and I didn't know if I could spend my life with someone like that, living in constant fear. Although, I knew if I didn't have Dean, I'd have to go back to my father.

At least Alpha Dean hadn't physically hurt me...yet.

My wolf and every fiber of my being yearned to be with him, though. The bond between us was completely undeniable, and it made me feel as if I was going insane. Part of me wanted to run far away, while the other part wanted nothing more than to fall into his embrace.