Chapter 6: Hermione's Potion

Start from the beginning

~

"You're still up?" Emily asked, unbelieving that Draco waited for her in the common room. "Well, you did say wait for me at the Common room so here I am," Draco said jokingly.

She felt a smile slowly growing on her face, "I guess I did say that." Emily said as she sat next to him on the carpeted floor in front of the fireplace. She took one poker from the fireplace and with a swish of her wand; she had cut it in half and transfigured the two halves into silver rings. Draco watched her as she held the two rings near her lips; he realized she was making an incantation or a sort of charm.

When she gave him one of the rings, he saw that small greenstone was set upon the silver band. "What this?" Draco asked as he examined the piece of magic. Emily wore the ring on her right hand, admiring it, "I've charmed these rings so that we can talk without actually seeing each other, and it's quite similar to what Muggles call walkie-talkies."

Draco huffed, sliding the ring on his finger, "Muggles and their ridiculous names for such things... How does it work?" Emily held out her hand showing the ring which was glimmering brightly, "When the stone looks somewhat like this, it either means I want to speak to you or that I'm alive. But when the stone is dull to the extent it looks grey, it means I'm either dead or never want to speak to you." 

Emily showed him how to make use of the ring. If they wanted to talk, they merely needed to push the stone and await the other's reply. If there's a need for help, press the stone down long enough and they'll receive the call. 

"Tell me if I'm assuming here, but did you put an Anti-cheating spell on these rings?" Draco asked, eager to find out of the rings can be used during exams. Emily laughed, nodding, "I did. It's useless during tests, Draco."

"Thought you might say that," Draco said laughing, thoroughly impressed once more by her and her magic. "Thank you."

~

"Come with me to the library after class." Emily heard a voice roam in her head. She looked up and saw Hermione Granger looking at her from across the Great Hall. She couldn't help but smile at how she managed to catch her attention; Emily nodded to her, agreeing to the secret meeting.

"Ready for Potions?" Draco asked, pulling her out from her thoughts. "Yeah, let's go." Said Emily, still not getting Hermione's peculiar invitation out of her head, she was keen on getting Potions over with and going to whatever the young Gryffindor had arranged. Emily and Draco walked in a fast pace to Snape's classroom, they went in appearing to be the first ones there.

"Why isn't it the troublesome twosome?" Professor Snape noticing, eyeing the two Slytherins. Emily greeted him a good morning, still can't digest the fact that the gruff professor was her previous baby sitter not so long ago. 

Students from the other three houses were now filling up the room and taking their respective seats, all except for three missing Gryffindors. "Today we will now be making a shrinking potion, turn to page 283." Professor Snape instructed. Emily began crushing the Snake fangs as she started reading the instructions, pretending like this was her first time to brew the potion; Draco was preparing the Flobberworm mucus, Seamus had barely done anything and yet there was thick smoke emitting from his cauldron, and Neville's potion was starting to turn into a course cottage cheese mixture. 

Emily looked up from her brew and saw the trio run inside the classroom. Snape was too busy fussing over Neville's potion, so instead of standing over them like a tower and lecturing them of how much of a disappointment they were to society, he instructed them to ask their classmates on what to do followed by the professor taking 10 points from Gryffindor.