3 || the b word

[mani: if imma be a bitch, imma be a bad one]

By definition, the word bitch means a female dog, wolf, fox or otter. over the years the meaning has drifted over to mean a woman, and at times a black woman.

When you hear the word bitch, what's your first thought?

"Aye that's my bitch, Tisha!"- in a  positive tone, you calling your girlfriend or your regular friend saying hello or claiming them for something good that they did

"You always talking shit you stupid bitch!" - in a negative light, you calling someone a bitch as if to say they're trash or interior. That they have a terrible attiude and need to be checked.

"I'm the only one who pays bills in this motherfucker, so I'm head bitch in charge!" - finally, you referring to yourself as a bitch, whether it be positive or negative.

Why as black women—as women in general do we degrade ourselves in this manner? I won't lie, I'm guilty of calling others and myself this, but why? Where did I learn it from?

From the media and from my surroundings. From a young child to an adult, we are sponges.  We soak up any little thing—whether it be good or bad—and apply it to our every day life because it's what we are learning.

When you watch a show do you ever hear the word bitch censored? Legitimately, with reality TV and regular shows the word bitch is rarely ever censored and it's socially acceptable for anyone to be called it.

I'm a bad bitch, is like saying you're an amazing girl, right? As I get older and as I grow and learn certain things, I've got to realize that this shouldn't be okay.

I'm not a bitch. I'm not a dog. I'm a girl—a woman as a matter of fact and I should be referred by my name and my female pronouns.

All the other ladies out there, you are not a bitch nor are you a dog. You're a lady just like I am and deserve respect. I'm starting to reverse my mentality and what I've learned and I'm going to not take it when someone calls me a bitch, negatively or positively.

I know it's just a word, but all words have meanings and impacts. It depends on those impacts how you handle them.

If you've taken offense to this,  then take it with a grain of salt and agree to disagree. Bye.

- Mani☆