2 || black fathers exist ✿

[mai: black dads exist and they've always been here

[mai: black dads exist and they've always been here.]

i'm so tired of people thinking that almost every black child is fatherless. people seem to want to believe that only black people are raised in single-parent households when really this isn't always the case.

on social media, you'll see people joke about black fathers being deadbeats when really, 67% of black fathers that do not live with their children go to see them at least once a month. for white fathers, it's 59% and 32% for Hispanic fathers.

the centers for disease control released information on fatherhood in America and according to their information, although black fathers tend to separate from their spouses more often, they still remain in their child's lives. the media somehow managed to alter the image of black fathers into a deadbeat that doesn't pay child support.

black men have been in their children's lives since the beginning of family structures, yet sometimes jail and death can snatch them away. and we all know that black men are being arrested at disproportionately high rates for small crimes whereas a white man raped a kid and got out of jail. the government takes our fathers away from us and then blame that on why we're being killed by cops.

um, the absence of a father has nothing to do with institutionalized racism.

✿ is your father in your life?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

if you somehow manage to take offense to this then wow. i'm not really sure at why you'd be mad at me being upset for black fathers not being shown often in the media, but okay.

— mai ✿