Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Did you two lovebirds finally decide to come up for air?" Calvin questioned with amusement as Finnegan and Cassandra stepped into the doc's house two days later.

"Even a man as amazin' with lovin' skills as me has to eat sometimes," Finnegan replied.

Cassandra rolled her eyes and pulled out of her husband's arms. Her husband. She loved how those words sounded together whenever she thought them. "We wanted to come check on you, Calvin. You look a lot better than the last time I saw you."

"I'm feeling quite a bit better too. I was up and about a bit this morning. Of course when Seamus found out I'd gone out without him there to help me he got a bit upset."

"Get used to that if ya have any plans o'bein' with him forever. Seamus 'a bit upset' Callahan is what my mama should have named him."

Seamus was shaking his head as he stepped into the room and leaned against the door frame. "Yeah, and she named you Finnegan 'doesn't have a lick of sense' Callahan."

"I must have some sense, Dear Seamus," Finnegan winked used his hands to motion up and down Cassandra's body. "Look at the wife I got for myself."

Cassandra ignored the bickering brothers as she sat down on the edge of Calvin's bed and laid her hand over his shoulder. "It doesn't feel hot. That's a good thing."

"Yeah," Calvin shifted and sat up a bit straighter. "The doc said I was real lucky that no infection ever set in."

"Yeah, damn lucky," Seamus agreed. He pulled off his hat and ran his hand through his dark hair. "Are you feeling up to going and getting some lunch?" .

Cassandra smiled brightly when she saw the way Calvin's face lit up when he gazed up at Seamus. Young love was such a beautiful thing. "Sure. It was my shoulder that was shot, not my legs."

"Yeah but you lost a lot of blood and we have to make sure you don't do too much too quick," Seamus reminded him. "You might feel good right now but you overdo yourself and it'll set you back for days." Calvin grumbled a bit at this but didn't bother to argue. Even he seemed to have learned that arguing with Seamus was much like beating your head against a wall.

"Finnegan and I will wait outside a moment while Seamus helps you get up and ready for lunch," Cassandra said as she stood up from the bed.

"If Seamus enjoys the taste of Calvin's neck as much as I enjoy the taste of yours it may take longer than a moment, Little Cass," Finnegan winked. Cassandra felt her face glow red. Calvin laughed while Seamus simply shifted his feet. Cassandra took Finnegan's hand and dragged him out the door before he could say anything further about what happened behind closed doors.

***

"Hello."

Cassandra looked up from her soup when Thomas Ore's voice came from beside their table. His voice was easy enough to recognize with that missing front tooth. She cast a quick glance at Seamus and saw his hand tighten around his spoon.

"Well hello there, ol' Tom," Finnegan greeted brightly. "Ya don't have a gun with ya do ya then?"

Tom's cheeks reddened. "No.. uh... I don't have a gun with me."

"That's good. I've only seen ya use one once but that's plenty enough times to know I don't want to be 'round when ya got one in your hand." Cassandra rolled her eyes and stomped on Finnegan's foot under the table.

Tom's lip trembled and he quickly turned his gaze toward Calvin. "Nice to see you up and around."

"It's nice to be up and around," Calvin agreed. "I'll be back to one hundred percent in no time."