Chapter 38: Let's eat

Lily:

Paola and I walk into the warmth of the casual restaurant that's, luckily for a nearly freezing Pao, close to my appartement.

"Fuck, it's not even December yet and I feel like I'm an icicle." She shivers through her too thin coat and hat and gloves and scarf. I laugh at her but she shoots me a look and I raise my hands in defence.

"Sorry, it's just hilarious to see you like this. I'm always complaining about the weather." I chuckle and she relaxes but continues to glare at me as I smile. The cold clearly makes her pretty grumpy.

"Shut up." She says but I can see her bite back a smile.

"Table for two please." I tell the woman behind the small wooden podium, wearing casual jeans and a t-shirt with the restaurant's logo. Before she can answer, I notice her eyes widen and I immediately eye her up and down to find the source of shock.

"Make that four." A deep voice says just behind my shoulder, and I spin around to see Harry smiling down at me. Paola is no longer grumpy and complaining about the cold because she's standing in shock next to Niall.

"Who's this?" Niall asks, motioning to Paola.

"That's Paola, and she's freezing because she's visiting from Miami." She stands there, frozen in her stance, and nods, still staring at Niall.

The woman who was supposed to bring us to our table has to ask for a picture with Niall and Harry before doing so. Eventually we get seated, but not before being stared at by every single person in the restaurant. We're sitting down for less than two minutes when girls from every corner are coming to take pictures with 2/5 of One Direction. I sometimes find myself wondering how they do it, because I've barely been around Harry and I'm beginning to get tired of taking the pictures, let alone being in them.

Finally we seem to be left alone, and a waitress comes by to order our drinks.

Paola and I sit across from Niall and Harry, and I notice Harry's eyes meet mine every so often while we're all deciding what to order.

"Have you been here before Lily?" Niall asks and I nod. It's a common enough restaurant and they have plenty back in Toronto that I used to go to with my family when I was little.

"Right well what's good?" He smiles in my direction and I shrug.

"Well, what do you feel like?" I laugh at him and he eyes the menu quickly before answering.

"Steak." He says in his most manly voice. I laugh again and then give him small suggestions until he finally picks one he likes.

I settle on the pasta, Pao settles shamelessly on a burger, and I can see her shrug as I eye her after she orders. Harry and Niall both get steak meals and finally we're left to talk.

Paola seems to have found her voice and begins asking Niall a bunch of questions I would have never thought of, but find myself wondering all the same. Somehow we get on the topic of 5SOS and I notice Harry tense, but I can't imagine why.

"Oh ya know Ashton was asking about you earlier Lily? He said he would like to finish that dance some time." Niall tells me and I glance to my right to catch Pao's expression.

I had told her about the whole "dancing with Ashton Irwin in a club" thing before, but I guess she really hadn't let it sink in until Niall Horan was telling her about it. I see her try to hold down a squeak and laugh at her silent attempt to hide it.

"Tell him I'd be glad to some time." I say politely in response, and notice the tension increase in Harry's shoulders. What's gotten into him?

I catch his eye and give him a confused look. He doesn't give any indication of an answer and fiddles to fix his grey beanie before returning his attention to the mindless chatter between the four of us.