Chapter 5: Casual night innit?

Harry:

"Mate where the hell have you been?" Zayn pipes up from the back of the car. 

I'd only just arrived back at the hotel to have the rest of the group pile into the back seat with me. The large SUV sits seven people and Zayn and Liam sit in the far back of the car. Niall and Louis taking the seats on either side of me. 

"I went exploring, what's it to you?" I retort, rather rudely, but for some reason I don't care to change my tone. 

"Alright then grumpy, what's got your panties in a twist?" Liam chimes in. 

The rest of the boys laugh, Niall being the last to stop. 

"Nothing mate, I texted you all anyway. Why does it matter where I go off to?" 

"It doesn't. Especially since we'll probably see it in every magazine tomorrow morning anyway." Louis responds carelessly.

I spin to face him in his seat.

"How do you know it'll be in every magazine?"

Louis' eyes immediately fill with confusion at my response to his remark. I can feel the confused looks of the rest of the boys bore like a lazer onto my back.

"What the fuck mate, I don't know, but it usually is. Jesus what's got you all wound up?"

"Nothing, fuck, nevermind."

I can feel them all staring at me and I know I'm going to have to explain my unusually unhappy mood, but for some reason I haven't been able to kick the feeling I got when Lily walked away today. Granted I know that I'll be seeing her again tonight, but what about after tonight? We're all off to a different city every day, there's no chance I can possibly see her even if she wanted to.

"Alright, alright. You all just need to stop staring at me like I'm a lunatic. I met a girl today, possibly dragged her away from the crowd of screaming girls outside the hotel, and also very possibly spent the majority of the day with her."

They all seem to look at each other knowingly sharing some secret that I'm obviously missing.

"What?" I nearly shout the word at them, making them all jump a little in their seats.

"Mate... - was she a fan?" Liam asks, more hesitantly than he needed to.

"Yeah, of course she was, how else would she be in a crowd of them?"

"Harry - nevermind." Liam seems to chicken out, but I'm in no way clear as to why.

"Am I missing something? She's just a girl I spent the day with, but the paps came and ruined it. She nearly fainted. I invited her to the concert tonight, and to come backstage."

The rest of the boys fall eerily silent. What the hell is wrong with them?

"Uhm, what the fuck? You'd think I just told you someone died. What the hell is going on?"

"Oh for fucks sake I'll just tell him. Harry - she's a fan. She got concert tickets, backstage passes, a day with you and pictures, most likely going to be published in a magazine, to prove it. What does that sound like?" Zayn seems to collect enough courage to point out what was clearly obvious to them.

"You think she's using me for the fame?" The thought had occured to me, but the way Lily spoke, avoided the paparazzi outside of the CN Tower, and acted so normal around me seemed so - well honest. There was no way she could be interested in my money or fame. I'm sure of it. Aren't I? 

"It's not exactly uncommon." Louis agrees with Zayn. They all agree with each other, and I can feel them almost ganging up on me. 

"Come on that's bullshit. She's just a girl I met and spent one day with, it's not like it's going to go much further anyway. We're not exactly staying here after tonight. Just drop it alright." I try to downplay the impact today had on me for their sake.

I'm also pretty offended that they would go as far as to immediately assume she's into the fame. In my short career I've eventually come to understand why all the biggest celebrities dated other celebrities: at least that way they knew it wasn't for the money. But I've never even tried to get to know someone outside of the celebrity bubble I've been living in. Why can't I start now, and shouldn't they be at least positive about the subject?

"Ahh mate come on lighten up. We're going to be singing to thousands of girls tonight, don't get hung up on one in that crowd." Niall shakes me from my right and the rest of them pat me on the back in agreement.

"Yeah, yeah. Just another casual night innit?" I respond, finally able to lighten up a bit. Despite these idiots, I don't think I could ever stay mad at them for much longer than a few minutes. They're always such babbling assholes, it's hard not to laugh nearly everything off. 

"Aye, look I think I can see Harry again." Zayn says from behind me. 

We all laugh together for a moment. 

Finally we arrive at the venue to set up and start another sound check and short rehearsal. There is nothing like doing the things I love, with the people I love most in the world. I can't help but smile at the thought of tonight. Especially if Lily is going to be somewhere in this crowd.