Chapter 4

I️ stare intently over towards Peeta at the dinner table attempting to read exactly what he is thinking. It doesn't work. He doesn't say one word. In fact, he hadn't since the moment I️ told him. He just stares down towards the ground, ignoring the world around him.

I️ sip slowly from my glass of water, feeling awkward. Maybe Peeta and I were wrong to ever do anything so stupid. I don't want to break the silence but I finally do, accepting that Peeta isn't going to say anything. "You don't have to stay" I whisper, setting my glass down softly on the bedside table, almost as if I will provoke him by making noise. "You don't have to."

"What did you just say to me?" He asks irritatedly, standing up and pacing through our bedroom.

"I said you don't have to stay" I say more clearly now, my finger trailing along the glass as I fixate my eyes on the small water droplets dripping down the sides, not wanting to make eye contact with Peeta.

He comes closer to me, grabbing my hand from the glass. He scares me at first. This is a side of Peeta I've never seen. But as soon as we lock eyes, I watch as a single tear trickles down the side of his face, his frown making want to break down in anger. Why do I keep hurting him like this?

"I'm not going anywhere." He says, holding my hand tighter. "Do you hear me?" He asks, grasping my hand tighter with every word. "Why would you even think that I'd leave you? Why would I do that right now, Katniss?"

"I-I don't know," I stutter, holding back tears. "You can stay back. You don't have to go back. You don't have to play this game anymore, you can live a normal life."

He releases my hand from his and stares me in the eyes. "This was never a game to me!" He screams, picking up the glass and then setting it down slowly, keeping himself from shattering it. I let out a short sob, millions of things running through my head. I have no where to go. I don't want to leave Peeta right now, but I don't want to look him in the eye either. I feel awful.

"And if you think that having sex with you was a way to play the game, you're wrong, Katniss. I've been waiting for this for years, for you to just—." He cuts himself off, pressing his lips together and frowning. "I'm not leaving your side. Okay? I will never go anywhere."

"The baby isn't going to make it, Peeta. I'm not going to make it."

"I am going to do everything in my power to get you through these games. Do you hear me?" He presses his forehead against mine, making eye contact. I want to kiss him. I want to go back to the situation we were in when I fell pregnant with his child, but I can't do that to him. So instead, I just nod, letting slow tears fall from my eyes.

___

Authors Note:
Lol I started this when I was in middle school and now I'm 17 and idk what to do with my life so here, ik irs been a year but ayyy