It was when I was in backstage that I realized my plan might be harder than I presumed. My intention was to leave my rose in Craig's cello case, but...which would be his? Did he ever change cases since I last saw him almost more than a year ago? What if it's not even here?

I was panicking, to say the least, while the trio performance was still going. The song is so much more peaceful than how I'm feeling and it's too ironic for comfort. You can't freeze now, Ao. Just be quiet and search.

With tentative steps, I maneuvered through the rows of instrument cases, looking out for the ones for cellos. I checked each to see if I could find anything that'd clue me in on it being Craig's. He always highlighted his music sheets, I remembered. Even when I found papers, it was never highlighted in any distinctive way. Damn, maybe he's using them on stage. Oh, geez...

After searching through cases, I was still unsure of which could or could not be Craig's. To my dread, the trio performance ended, with a flourish from the piano and strong ending notes from the cello and violin. The auditorium went into an uproar of clapping and then even more clapping since the concert was over. I heard the shifting of chairs behind the curtains as the orchestra stood for recognition on stage. Crap..!

As I fled to the nearest door out of here,  I tripped over a case and landed with a soft thud that couldn't be heard over the clapping outside. Looking down, I noticed a blue ribbon sticking out from under a trombone case. It was tied to another cello case that I had missed. A blue ribbon. I had always tied a blue ribbon to my violin case. No one else here has anything fancy on their cases. Only Craig would be someone to stand out.

Quickly, I pulled out the case from under the other and opened it. Before I could leave the rose inside, one of the woodwinds came out from behind the curtain and called, "Hey...!"

My heart pounded fast as I got up and backed away. A few other musicians came out with questioning gazes. There's no doubt in my mind that I looked suspicious, especially with my hood on. I knew it would be a waste to explain myself, so I kept quiet and shuffled towards the nearest exit.

Then, amidst the bodies of musicians filing into the backstage area, I spotted Craig...and he spotted me.

Without any regard to anyone else, he started rushing forward with his cello in hand. His expression was of disbelief but that didn't stop him from pushing through other people and almost knocking over the harpist and her harp. Everyone else got mad at him but he didn't seem to care. And the closer he got, the less I was able to breathe. No, don't...! I'm sorry, Craig, but not this time...

Fighting back tears, I dropped the rose on the floor and practically slammed through the exit door. I skidded across the floor for a second before composing myself and racing down the hallway.  After running into another section, I was overwhelmed by the audience members crowding the hall. While I bumped into people and apologized with every step I took, I heard Craig yell from behind, "Ao?!"

Don't look back.

"Ao!!"

Don't turn back...!

With a heavy heart, I managed to make it out of the crowd and exit the building. No one came out to stop me, and I was off the grounds in no time. For a moment, I stopped and turned around to look at the school from the sidewalk. On one hand, I wanted to see Craig standing somewhere afar, having chased after me, but I knew it'd be better if he didn't. So, before there was a chance that he'd catch sight of me, I ran off into the streets of New York, leaving him with a small taste of the promise I made that I can't fulfill right now.

"Promise me this won't be the last time I ever see you."

I promised him, which was a promise for everyone--Kayla, Aaron, Xavier. Whenever I thought about those words, I had always told myself that I hope I could keep my promise. But I don't want to hope anymore.