Chapter 1 - Fascination

"Hey, Ai'Forth!" one of my friends yell at me.

"How many girls have hit on you since you joined the Campus Moon Competition?" he asks.

Right. It's been a few months now since that night. Welcome to the new semester!

Oh, are you curious to know whether or not I won?

Push the rewind button.

That night.

... "And the 2016 Campus Moon Award goes to...!!!"

The spotlights are blinding. The event hall is overcrowded, but I can't seem to recognize anyone from where I stand. Beads of sweat crawl through every part of my body. I know anyone can tell that I'm shaking from anxiety, fear, excitement and embarrassment.

I wish I had a magic switch that I could just press on anytime when I want to vanish. How did I go this far?

Everybody is holding their breath with eyes wide open gripping on anything they can get a hold of. Mouths partly opened. Endless screams are deafening.

Me? I am at the center of everything that's happening right now. Alongside that handsome tall guy. The one who kept everybody waiting during the first day of the photo shoot.

The one who dazzled me.

Who would've thought that I would be in the top 2? Together with this guy who seems to have gained everybody's vote. Of course, my seniors and my friends from the Engineering College never failed to show their support for me including some students from other departments whom I may have influenced to change their mind and cheer for me instead. I also have a certain sort of charm, you know?

Let's get done with this already.

Drum roll. Halt.

Deadly silence.

.

.

.

"Phana Kongtorranin from the College of Medicine!!!" announced by the host.

Of course.

He looks at me and gives me an uncertain kind of smile.

He hesitates to move. There's something in those eyes.

Screams are getting louder. Almost everybody's on their feet; some are even jumping.

Colorful lights start to dance all around the stage. A fanfare starts to play in the background.

I nod at him. Without saying any word, I tell him 'it's okay'.

Yeah, nothing should change. Still the same jerks. I honestly feel happy for him.

I exhale as he walks. Not sure whether it's a breath of relief or regret.

Relief that it's all over.

Regret that it's all over.

Either way. No more puzzles to solve in my head.

"And of course, our first runner-up, Forth, from the College of Engineering. Congratulations to both of you. A round of applause, everyone!"

Another wave of earsplitting screams, applause and a little hint of boos.

Inhale. Exhale. Ahhh. This is definitely a relief. An escape. A way out.

There. Now you know. I didn't win. I'm just the second best.

College of Engineering Freedom Hall