Sixteen

Someday in 2020, who knows anymore but I figure the girl was writing the date so I should too?

Hello dear person reading this, (Like anyone's ever going to see this though, the girl writing it has been arrested by the silence and may never hold this book in her hands again)

I found this journal lying in a pile of instruments and other similar gear that we were supposed to be clearing out to be sent to be wrecked. It sucks to see how these people came to this. Some part of me felt like I needed to write something in it, to help document the story of these great heroes. Though I'd probably get myself killed for saying that. If anyone knows this writing is mine well...I guess you can understand by this what can happen. 

It breaks my heart. Before the silence, music was my life as well. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to survive. It was mine. The choice between death and music; or life and a stable job destroying what once gave me so much life. 

Defend the faith, a sticker says stuck on the back of one of the guitars. How I admire these people, wish that somehow I could've been like them. I knew of the Outsiders, the people that dared to challenge the changing fabric of our world. Like most of us I scoffed at their antics, why couldn't they understand that music had become a dangerous commodity. Instruments viewed as the weapons of out world.  Something that was now forbidden. 

Then I read this. It reminded me of everything we had lost and everything we still have to gain. Music is precious. The melodies and lyrics are forming again. Something that I had suppressed for such a long time. I wonder if I'll ever get to see the stage again...part of me is yearning for it. To hear the crowd singing back words you wrote alone in a bedroom when you felt like giving up. I wonder where the guys are now, the people I shared my passion with. It hurt when I shoved my microphone and piano away in a cupboard so they could never be found by someone. I guess part of me hoped that I'd come back to them someday.

I want to return the journal to the girl who was writing it. I'm keeping the instruments too, putting them in storage, in the hope that they can be returned to them. I'm working how to get through the loopholes before it's too late. If anyone can do this, I know I can. I want to see change. Maybe things can't go back to the way they were, but the silence needs to be taken down. I'm tired of waiting. I have a position in this world I should use it. 

H.