Chapter 24: Goodbyes

Raven's gun hit the ground with a dull thud, the plastic of it barely letting it bounce once before it came to lay motionless in the grass, no lives taken. Then her voice calls to them, "He's all yours, Charles."

        Kat felt Erik's mind as soon as the helmet came off, but Charles took hold of him with his mind, using his power from within to move the light fixtures off of them both, sending the structure flying away. Kat took in a deep breath, finally able to breathe. She took Hank's hand when he offered it to her, struggling to stand as she pulled her tail free. She let out a yelp as she planted her left food, a sharp pain shooting up her body.

        "Can you stand?" Hank asked worriedly, checking over her body frantically.

        "I'll be fine, just get Charles." Kat forced herself to ignore the pain as she limped around the piece of concrete that had separated them. She stood and watched as Hank lifted Charles. The both of them came to his side, each taking one of his arms to wrap around their shoulders, helping him up despite Kat's condition.

        Finally, she could see things as they were, the many chairs scattered everywhere with only small sections left untouched. Debris laid everywhere, chunks of concrete great and small littering all across the lawn. The bunker sat ripped open, the men still inside, frozen where they watch as Erik stood from where he had been knocked on the ground. There was a graze mark from a plastic bullet on the side of his neck, and behind him, Raven stood by the exit, Erik's helmet in her hand.

        "If you let them have me," Erik called out for Charles to hear, "I'm as good as dead. You know that."

        "I know," Charles answered him, meeting his eyes from where he stood a great many years away. He continued to hold the men still, giving Erik the choice. One last decision.

        Erik's face remain hard, emotionless. But his eyes were sad. "Goodbye, old friend."

        "Goodbye, Erik."

        He gave one last look towards Raven before raising his hands and lifting himself from the ground once more, levitating himself away. Charles kept his hold on the men for a while longer, for Raven still remained. 

        She looked at them in her true blue form, her bright yellows eyes older than Kat had ever truly seen them. Raven gave a nod to them, a simple goodbye before she turned with her head held up. And with a newfound pride in herself, she was able to walk away.

        "Are you sure you should let them go?" Hank whispered to Charles, watching until Raven disappeared around the corner, no doubt taking another identity to disguise herself from the helicopters they could hear flying closer overhead.

        "Yes," Charles answered with certainty, still gripping to their shoulders. "I have hope for them. There is going to be a time when we are all together again."

        Kat looked to her husband and could not help but break a smile, filled with the notion that he was completely right.