Chapter 16: Cerebro

The corridors leading to Cerebro were metallic blue, lined with strips of light fixtures both above and along the trim of the walls. Even with such a bright and optimistic appearance, Kat could sense there was doubt inside of Charles—fear of what had become so unfamiliar to him after all this time.

        Seated in his wheelchair, Charles led them down the corridor that would led them to the doors of Cerebro, Kat close behind him with Logan and Hank at her heels. They remained quiet, with the gentle sound of their footsteps the only thing to fill the silence. When they neared the door itself, Charles let out a long sigh.

        "When was the last time you were down here?" Logan asked, examining the round door with its lack of any handle.

        Kat crossed her arms over her chest, looking down to her feet. "I'd say it was the last time we sought students for our school."

        "It was a lifetime ago," Charles supplied, stopping just before the door where he remained eye level with the marked 'X' symbol in the middle. There appeared to be a blue lens there, inactive until it registered the weight before it. Then, it lit up blue, shining a light directly forward, at perfect height for Charles's face. The light spread in a laser line across Charles's eyes before splitting into an 'X', completing its scan. Once identification was confirmed, an automated feminine voice announced, "Welcome, Professor."

         The door took a moment to unlock itself, the blue light diminishing. Finally, the door itself split into two, sliding open for them. Charles led the way inside, followed closely until the door closed automatically in their wake. 

        The first thing one would take note of the room to Cerebro was that it was not a room at all, but rather a globe-like dome of a structure with blue panels forming its interior. Leading from the door was a walkway leading to what could be considered the center of the sphere. There was a control center there, and placed in the middle was a helmet connected to wires feeding into the system. Charles let out another heavy sigh. 

        Hank reached forward over Charles's shoulder, turning a nob to power up the machine. "Raven's wounded," he said, "so she won't be moving fast."

        Kat held her breath as Charles reached forward, grabbing the helmet from where he sat among the controls. He took in a deep breath before blowing on it, scattering the dust that had collected over time.

        Charles paused, blinking. "These are muscles I haven't stretched in a long time." Finally, he placed the helmet carefully over his head, the sensors inside of it lighting up with their own blue hue as Cerebro whirred to life. 

        Within moments, Charles let out a deep gasp, and Kat suppressed her mind's reach even more so as not to become caught up with Charles's. As his mind expanded, she could not; she was not a natural telepath as he was. 

        Suddenly, the dome around them changed its appearance from blue paneling to what appeared to be the projected image of the world as they knew it. All around them was red, with glowing figures floating about. These were the mutants—all  of them suddenly crying out, weeping and shouting as they felt their minds being touched. Some figured flickered blue, and as the moments passed, their cries only got louder, more aggressive. Charles gripped the arms of his wheelchair, and the illusion surrounding them began to spin, gaining momentum as his control spiraled. Charles grunted as he struggled to keep hold, to seek and find Raven even as his resolve was slipping entirely. 

        Round and round the image went, and Kat carefully placed a hand to Charles's shoulder in an attempt to ground the both of them, but as she did so she could feel her mental guard tumbling down until she was engulfed in that pain with him, finding herself caught in that suffering. She gasped as though the wind had been knocked from her; that was when Charles gave in, crying out before he let out a desperate scream.