Chapter 23: Have Faith

'Christiana.'

        Charles's voice rang clear in Kat's head, and she turned her head as if to find which direction it came form. The large piece of concrete that held her tail beneath it was the same that seemed to ultimately separate them, for she could sense him there lying on the other side. 

        Kat tried to push herself up, biting her lip to keep herself form shouting as she used all of her strength.  'Charles,' she responded when she failed to lift herself from the ground. 'Charles, are you okay? I'm stuck, the light fixture, it's got me.'

        'As am I,' Charles sent back, but a silence followed as they both could feel Logan and Hank, both alive conscious with them on the lawn. Neither of them were trapped like she and Charles were. 'Don't move, it will only cause more pressure.'

        Kat nodded, mentally agreeing with her husband. She had to trust him.

        That was when he heard Erik's voice, loud and clear as if an order. "Do what you were made for."

        One Sentinel joined him on the ground before it began moving out, going right past where she and Charles remained. She knew where it was headed, and her fears were confirmed when she heard it take flight and then land with a heavy sound a great many feet away. She sensed the panic that came from the direction, the feeling followed by gunshots.

        Hank and Logan were putting up a fight.

        Kat thought quickly, knowing that Erik was still out there even though she could not touch his mind.

        Then it hit her. Desperately, she sought out for Logan and Hank, searing for their minds before it was too late for them all. 

        'Hank, Logan,' she sent out to them both, 'listen to me. You have to get the helmet off of Erik's head. Destroy the Sentinel if you can, but Erik can be rendered powerless without it!'

        The fighting continued on, but then Kat could hear Hank call to Logan, "I got this! Go!"

        'I've got him,' Logan's thought came back to Kat, his tone almost reassuring.

        Kat sighed with relief, turning her head to look beneath the jagged piece of concrete by her other side, trying her to see if she could spot Erik as Logan took charge for him. Kat reached for Logan's mind when she could not see anything of, looking through his eyes.

        He ran towards Erik, his claws extended from between his knuckles while he fought away pieces of metal Erik sent flying his way. Hank stayed behind, fighting off the Sentinel, his blue features and fur returned in his Beast form. Still, Logan persisted to get closer and closer to Erik, determination in his eyes.

        But then Erik reached his powers for something behind Logan, pulling a piece of concrete free with its structural bars still in tact. Kat felt the initial impact of it against Logan's back, knocking him down. Kat held her breath, only before she found herself suddenly gasping for air.

        She could feel the metal rods just as Logan could. Erik manipulated them to break from the concrete and pierce into Logan's body from his legs, working them up through his body like framework.

        Tears sprung to Kat's eyes as she felt the metal curl through Logan's body, and for a moment she swore she could taste blood in her own mouth. She was locked there, unable to pull herself from his pain just as she had in Paris.

        He was slipping from the future again; she could feel it.

        "Charles," Kat gasped out loud, barely able to move her arm so that she was reaching towards him. Her other hand went to the scarf around her neck and pulled it off, her head resting back against the grass as she tried to remember to breathe, to watch Erik through Logan's eyes even as Erik used the metal inside him to raise Logan's body up as if he were a puppet